Author Topic: The Grey Ones.. or Twelves in my case  (Read 3051 times)

fuzzyrichard

• All the gear, no idea
The Grey Ones.. or Twelves in my case
« on: February 25, 2013, 05:51:44 AM »
Has anyone refinished a grey Spalding TPM? I have a 12 but would prefer it blackened.. what were they made of.. carbon or stainless? I'd hate to start the process and get it wrong as it's in quite reasonable condition as it is.

FrankenScotty

Re: The Grey Ones.. or Twelves in my case
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 11:49:21 PM »
I think they are carbon, as stainless would have been too expensive to use in the manufacture in comparison to the recommended retail price on delivery from Spalding as a guess,

If you are worried about damaging it, you probably should leave it grey.

My TPM 12 was refinished professionally, pretty close, if not exactly to it's original black colour,

Here is a couple of pics---------

"You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me"

fuzzyrichard

• All the gear, no idea
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 04:42:04 AM »
Nice pics.. it's always a pleasure to see them in that condition

FrankenScotty

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
I meant to ask in the previous post fuzzy,

Is yours re-finished grey, or is it, that all the black finish has come off and it has been cleaned up back to the natural metal?

fuzzyrichard

• All the gear, no idea
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
No, some of the later Spalding models were made with a grey finish, other late models had a black finish (might have be paint) with the face left raw..  along the topline, they have a dot plus line either side of the dot alignment aid. I think some had a reasonable carbon content and others were stainless. The grey finish is quite textured. My 12 has a pocket unlike yours with the TPM initials inside. I think they were made in the early 90's. I'll try to post some pics for you..

FrankenScotty

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:01:35 PM »
Fuzzy,

Just asking, have you read the Subject directly above this one on the main page, it may shed some light also,

http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=14923.0

fuzzyrichard

• All the gear, no idea
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 06:21:19 PM »
Yes, I have seen that.. nice and informative and all the putters look brilliantly restored. Sadly, it doesn't help me with the carbon content of the grey putters. I'm hoping to find someone who has successfully restored one.

fuzzyrichard

• All the gear, no idea
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 07:31:33 AM »
Finally taken some pics of my grey TPM 12.. still looking for some advice from anyone who knows whether they are stainless or carbon steel?

Albatross

• I've never seen a short putt fall in the hole...
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 03:06:09 AM »
Just give it the old magnet test.  If it sticks it's more than likely carbon and you have a chance.  If it doesn't it's "stainless" and wouldn't touch it unless your highly skilled.  I might add that some basic stainless steels do have magnetic properties but would be weaker to attract than ferrous metals but the majority do not.  From experience in dealing with stainless steel vintage clubs some do have weak magnetic properties but stuff after the 50's have higher chromium and nickel content and turns the stainless non magnetic.  Just by looking at the color of yours I would bet that it's not magnetic and is a type of stainless.  That's not to say stainless can't be plated.  Just takes a highly specialized process and or a fat wallet...  Of course bluing stainless would be out of the question.  I have heard of a thing called Dura-Coat that works with stainless.  You could always powder coat it with a nice oil based enamel.  Although the magnet test is not definitive answer it should at least give you a baseline to go on.
I never wanted to be a millionaire.  I just wanted to live like one. - Sir Walter Hagen

fuzzyrichard

• All the gear, no idea
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 01:51:23 PM »
Thanks for that.. tried the magnet test.. it's stainless steel and therefore it's staying grey.