Author Topic: oldmannoodles' TPM collection  (Read 10908 times)

oldmannoodles

oldmannoodles' TPM collection
« on: August 19, 2010, 05:57:14 AM »
After finishing my Ping mag bronze collection (http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=7554.msg87984#msg87984), I was looking for a new project and the Spalding T.P. Mills series were an obvious choice. They are great classic putters, plenty of them are still floating around, and they're relatively inexpensive. Karsten Solheim and T.P. Mills are undoubtedly the kings of putter design and it has been a real lesson in putter history getting these collections together.

Some of these TPMs have an incredible buttery feel not often even found in many modern $400 putters. They were made with different compositions of stainless and carbon, which changed from series to series. Most were in pretty beat-up condition when I got them so I spent many evenings in the shed sanding them down. My aim was to return them to their original conditions, finishes, and paintfill. Unfortunately I couldn't salvage most of the old grips, so I went with a recent T.P. Mills grip for uniformity.

Special thanks to Mark Conner for his complete list of all the TPMs and also for sending me the ferrules, Jay at T.P. Mills for the grips, Kari Lajosi for getting his guys to do the black matte finishes (which came up a treat!), and thanks to the many U.S. ebay sellers who were willing to ship to Australia (I did not experience one negative ebay or postage issue)

The series I've collected are:

The Roman Numerals
I - IX

The First Numbered Series (aka "Black Magic")*
1 - 14 (a no.13 wasn't made and I've never seen an 11 - if you have one or see one please let me know!)
*I skipped the 2nd and 3rd numbered series as they were mostly the same as the 1st

The Tour Series (aka "Black Gold" - these have gold paintfill)
15 - 19

The Gold Series
1 - 4

HULL17RW

Re: oldmannoodles' TPM collection
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 06:26:30 AM »
WOW, those look great! The heads look nice and clean and the black finish is very nice. The amount of work put into these really paid off. Congrats, thanks for posting photos!

Kevin
HULL17RW
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:28:25 AM by HULL17RW »
Kevin --- a.k.a. "KevDogg"-----

Mills Mob Goodfella's- KevDogg, Papa Smurf, Shay-D, K-Shaw and Jaybird!

Mills Mob Ladies- Bambi.

Mills Mob- Represent!

"You can't control a Mob, only hope to contain them"

razaar

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 06:34:31 AM »
Way to go Ben; the black matt finish is spot on. Interested in your decision to go with copper plating on some and not others.
Thinking the way you have always thought will almost certainly assure you putt the way you always have. - Dr Bob Rotella

oldmannoodles

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 06:45:17 AM »
Way to go Ben; the black matt finish is spot on. Interested in your decision to go with copper plating on some and not others.

It's not actually a copper plating Ray. The Gold Series are similar to the old mag bronze Pings and can be sanded and shined up to a mirror finish.

razaar

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 06:50:03 AM »
All righty.
Thinking the way you have always thought will almost certainly assure you putt the way you always have. - Dr Bob Rotella

KLP1264

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 07:09:26 AM »
They have come up looking a treat Ben- you did great job on the paint fill.

Kari

glenwayputters

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 07:18:55 AM »
Ben

Those look great.

How many hours do you think you have in them?

Jay
Feel free to call me any time, 704-879-9477

email = jay@piedmontleather.com

Jay

oldmannoodles

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 07:47:03 AM »
They have come up looking a treat Ben- you did great job on the paint fill.
Kari

Cheers Kari and thanks for your help with the finishes mate.

Ben
Those look great.
How many hours do you think you have in them?
Jay

Thanks Jay, I reckon 1-2 hours sanding per putter, plus another couple of hours getting the paintfill right, gluing the head, cleaning the shaft, removing the grip, shaping ferrules, cutting to length, and re-gripping.

JelUltra

• Mmmm... Buttery Blades!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 08:54:16 AM »
Wow - well done!!!!!

I've got a few of the spaldings, and completely agree - the feel is incredible, easily as good as many putters today, and you're never scared to game the heck out of 'em.
Read it, roll it, hole it.

oldmannoodles

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 09:02:26 AM »
WOW, those look great! The heads look nice and clean and the black finish is very nice. The amount of work put into these really paid off. Congrats, thanks for posting photos!

Kevin
HULL17RW

Thanks Kevin, from a huge Mills fan such as yourself, that's a great compliment.

sandbagger

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 09:34:54 AM »
Outstanding collection, and work on these Ben! All I have for you is WOW!!!!

scooterdog

• The Weather is Here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 09:35:20 AM »
Holy Cow !!!!! and WOW !!!!!

What a wonderful collection. Devoting the time to a project and having it turn out that great is super  8)

Johnny
CRIMSON TIDE #1

What if the "Hokey Pokey" really IS what it's all about ??!!??

I have too many putters to list !!!???!!!

MoaningM

• Old Tom Morris...
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 10:00:09 AM »
Ben

I had a feeling you had something up your sleeve! Fantastic m8, I've done up 6 or 8 of these Spaldings so I know how effort they require, so that makes your collection there all the more impressive! The 7 and 12 are my favourites!

I do like the look of that pocketed Tour Series putter - which model is that one? (Top left in photo 13)

So what's your favourite?

oldmannoodles

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 10:30:20 AM »
Wow - well done!!!!!
 I've got a few of the spaldings, and completely agree - the feel is incredible, easily as good as many putters today, and you're never scared to game the heck out of 'em.

Absolutely Doug, these are some of the softest putters I've ever rolled.

Outstanding collection, and work on these Ben! All I have for you is WOW!!!!

Cheers Rog, BTW got a new Lajosi in the works - I'm sure you're going to like it.

Holy Cow !!!!! and WOW !!!!!
What a wonderful collection. Devoting the time to a project and having it turn out that great is super  8)
Johnny

Thanks Johnny, I'm rapt with how they turned out. It was a long process, but definitely a labour of love!

Ben

I had a feeling you had something up your sleeve! Fantastic m8, I've done up 6 or 8 of these Spaldings so I know how effort they require, so that makes your collection there all the more impressive! The 7 and 12 are my favourites!

I do like the look of that pocketed Tour Series putter - which model is that one? (Top left in photo 13)

So what's your favourite?

Dave, you're right, much elbow grease involved! My favourite is definitely the 7. I have a heap of blade putters but I think that is my pick of the lot - great weight, a rare centred sweetspot for a blade, buttery feel, minimal offset, love it. The 12 has a bit too much offset for my tastes but is obviously a classic design and a proven winner for the Mills company.

Top left in pic 13 (pic no.7134) is the Tour Series 18 (second from left in the pic below it - no.7185). A beautiful model with a 5:45 toe hang, great feel, and probably my favourite from the Tour Series.

oldmannoodles

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 11:25:23 AM »
Dave, I should also mention that my other favourite isn't pictured. It's actually the no.6 from the 2nd numbered series (one of the few that is different to the 1st series). It's longer and thinner than standard, feels great, 5:00 toe hang, and is one of the inspirations of the Lajosi BM3.

HULL17RW

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 12:34:27 PM »

Kevin
HULL17RW

Thanks Kevin, from a huge Mills fan such as yourself, that's a great compliment.

Ben this was a very cool post to start my morning! My Favorite? TPM Gold I, Bullseye/Elf Shoe style with a Pocket. Such a timeless design. Bravo!

Kevin
HULL17RW
Kevin --- a.k.a. "KevDogg"-----

Mills Mob Goodfella's- KevDogg, Papa Smurf, Shay-D, K-Shaw and Jaybird!

Mills Mob Ladies- Bambi.

Mills Mob- Represent!

"You can't control a Mob, only hope to contain them"

MoaningM

• Old Tom Morris...
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 03:55:42 PM »
Dave, I should also mention that my other favourite isn't pictured. It's actually the no.6 from the 2nd numbered series (one of the few that is different to the 1st series). It's longer and thinner than standard, feels great, 5:00 toe hang, and is one of the inspirations of the Lajosi BM3.

Ben,

Looking at that TMills No6 got me scampering up into the attic, after some rootin about found one identical (admittedly without the TLC you have given yours) so tommorrow hopefully once this rain has died down I shall be heading upto the shed and cut her down and regrip her then take her down the club for a trial! Got to say she does look great from the top down view with that pocket, good shout :)

t_stellhorn

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 10:19:36 AM »
how do you know if the number series is the 1st, 2nd or 3rd run?

ak108

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 12:02:48 PM »
Wow amazing collection Ben! I should have put your house as a point of interest in my itinerary when I visited Ausie LOL!
Most Faithful Gamer: Lajosi H3R Albz insert

rickp

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »
WOW!!!  Great collection and a terrific job on the refinish.

Got a little tear in my eye seeing those left hand putters, few and far between.
Rick

sevenfourate

• GOLF: The Worlds hardest puzzle........
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 03:07:33 PM »
I saw this collection a while ago on another forum i think (?),and it stuck in the back of my mind. I remembered it one day a while later but could never find it again....

So i'll state now that its probably the most stunning collection ive ever seen due to (And i can only somewhat imagine) the work,time,effort,money and attention to detail you've put in to get where you are.

Anyone (relatively) can chuck a load of money at new/custom putters,but for you to spend time hunting down,get your hands dirty preparing the heads etc,get them refinished,paintfilled,identicle grips fitted etc and back to a factory-new look is simply am amazing commitment to your overall 'project'.

You've obviously got an eye for detail and exacting standards. And boy does it show in your collection ;)

Hugest congatulations on a stunning display.

Regards Shuv

TAYLORMADE: R5-TP 9.5deg  Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
BRIDGESTONE : J-40 (4 w) . Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
PING i15 : 17+20 deg Hyb's. Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
TAYLORMADE: RSi TP Irons (4 - PW). Project X - 6.5
CLEVELAND: 588 RTX 2.0 - 52 + 58 deg
RIFE: Iconic Three F/Neck - 35"

Chappie

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 01:41:26 PM »
That was an absolute treat.  I don't think the original Mills putters get enough attention.  While it's very chic to love the original pings and praise the anser for it's role in changing putter design (and I'll add, rightly so - I love the original ansers and some of the cheekier designs that only Morton's Golf would even know about in the modern retail world) it seems as though TP and his work with Spalding get's all but overlooked.  He may not have developed the anser, but really he made putters beautiful and great to look at way before that was considered a desirable everyday commodity in the golf community.

I may have to go find another TPM 7 now.  ;)
My small and silly collection of flatsticks:
Cleveland TAM 2
John Byron Dalehead longneck
Kia Ma Rossa Monaco TP
PING Anser 2 BeCu
PING Anser 3
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2
Spalding T.P. Mills TPM I
Spalding T.P. Mills TPM 8
Chicago Classic BeCu 8802

JelUltra

• Mmmm... Buttery Blades!
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 09:07:30 PM »
It's fun to go back and see how the hosel placement alters the look of the putter.

Looking closely at the pics, it looks like what was the II or 2 model (either 'black' series shown) is now where David puts the hosel on most One's he makes.  I also like the hosel on the 12 in the gold series - the shorter neck looks like it gives a pretty clean look at the ball.

I remember trying one of the tour series model, I think it was the second from the right in pic 7134, and was surprised at how tall the face was.  Guaranteed to hit the ball well with that one - especially as compared to the 8802 I was messing with right before I tried that!  It had great feel, and I should have walked out of the store with it.  Not sure why I didn't...  I think I chose a 7 blade model with the weight swept towards the toe.
Read it, roll it, hole it.

MoaningM

• Old Tom Morris...
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 03:36:59 AM »
Ben

Is there any difference apart from the hosel between the TPM1 and the TPM I (Roman Numeral) also same question with the 2 and II?

From the photos difficult to tell but the II looks a little shorter and stubier than the 2?

KLP1264

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 07:32:50 AM »
It's great to see your collection again Ben, a amazing variety of designs & styles TP originated- I think Chappie is correct in saying early TP Mills deserve more attention & recognition- his influence on current design can be seen with many of the putters we see on PT today- mine included!!
I remember having a roll of a few when you had them refinished- soft as "butter" I think was a term we used.

I'd love to know who made the original molds & designs for all the individual casting die's -  TP??

Kari

oldmannoodles

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 07:48:40 AM »
Ben
Is there any difference apart from the hosel between the TPM1 and the TPM I (Roman Numeral) also same question with the 2 and II?
From the photos difficult to tell but the II looks a little shorter and stubier than the 2?

Dave, the necks are pretty similar - I think the difference you see in the pics is due to the Roman Numeral series having ferrules. I'll post some pics in the next couple of days to demonstate this if you'd like (got a nice bottle of Barossa shiraz distracting me tonight!).

MoaningM

• Old Tom Morris...
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 09:15:04 AM »
Dave, the necks are pretty similar - I think the difference you see in the pics is due to the Roman Numeral series having ferrules. I'll post some pics in the next couple of days to demonstate this if you'd like (got a nice bottle of Barossa shiraz distracting me tonight!).

Now That's the sort of distraction I like!