Author Topic: Kirkland Signature golf ball (Costco)  (Read 2874 times)

RobotDoctor

• Coffee drinking hacker
    • NewHorizonAuto
Kirkland Signature golf ball (Costco)
« on: December 20, 2016, 05:44:41 PM »
It seems that the current "IT" ball on the market is the hard to get Kirkland Signature.  The second round of online sales occurred this morning and reports have it that the ball sold out at Costco.com in 15 minutes, or so.  I am looking forward to trying them once the snow melts here in Colorado.  Has anyone tried this ball and is it all that it seems that it's cracked up to be? 
Byron Morgan B-17 Secrets Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DaKine Pear Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DH89x Long Pipe GSS
Byron Morgan SS DaKine 8812
Byron Morgan Designed by Captain Morgan, CU SS
TP Mills Tour Huey
TP Mills Heritage
and a few others

rickp

Re: Kirkland Signature golf ball (Costco)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 06:19:50 PM »
Not yet, they sell quickly. 
Rick

cnosil

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 10:03:04 PM »
I have one that I found on my local course.  Have played a few holes and seems to be a decent ball.  Performance is as described but I would say it is a little firmer that the Pro V1.

T.J.

• Global Moderator
  • ANOTHER putter Dad? Mom's gonna kill you!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 01:47:17 AM »
It seems that the current "IT" ball on the market is the hard to get Kirkland Signature.  The second round of online sales occurred this morning and reports have it that the ball sold out at Costco.com in 15 minutes, or so.  I am looking forward to trying them once the snow melts here in Colorado.  Has anyone tried this ball and is it all that it seems that it's cracked up to be? 

I now have a shipping number, will let you know after the holidays how it performs,,, I'll send you a sleeve to try when the courses open in your area if you haven't tried it by then,,,
LIFE IS NOT FAIR! STOP WHINNING!!      Tee it up, let's play GOLF!

rickp

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 06:30:53 AM »
Nearest Costco is 40 miles from us. 
Almost a day trip. 
Rick

RobotDoctor

• Coffee drinking hacker
    • NewHorizonAuto
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 07:39:17 AM »

I now have a shipping number, will let you know after the holidays how it performs,,, I'll send you a sleeve to try when the courses open in your area if you haven't tried it by then,,,

TJ, I got my shipping confirmation as well. Mine for 2 boxes. We'll see how the KSig ball feels and performs.  Thanks for the offer good buddy!
TP Mills Tour Huey
TP Mills Heritage
and a few others

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 10:15:59 AM »
Nearest Costco is 40 miles from us. 
Almost a day trip.

Making me cry over here... only thing WITHIN 40 miles for me is a Wally World and a Lowes... I dropped our Sam's membership when we moved to the mountains because it was nearly a 70 mile trip one way. By the time I buy gas and factor in the cost of the membership, it was getting to be a break even trip at best. I remember when it was a big deal because it was a big savings... now you can usually get the same stuff at WalMart for pennies more, without the long drive.

Back to the ball... I also look forward to hitting them and the Snell ball.

Jimbo  8)
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

RobotDoctor

• Coffee drinking hacker
    • NewHorizonAuto
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 09:25:50 PM »
Costco had the KSig ball back for sale this afternoon/evening for a couple of hours today. 
TP Mills Tour Huey
TP Mills Heritage
and a few others

ws6

• Is it summer yet?
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 11:12:14 PM »
I don't need anymore golf balls in my stash, but since I'm living in Seattle (most of the time), I'll have to pick some up the next time I go to Costco.  I've heard they are in some of the stores here. 

Jkwez

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 12:45:47 AM »
I have never played the ball, but the reviews have been great.  I was lucky enough to get my hands on two boxes and I should receive next week.  I will post a review once I get a chance to play.  If the ball is anything close to a pro v 1 I say its a steal at $15 a dozen. 

rickp

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 10:16:28 AM »
But can a left handed golfer hit them?😀
MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY HANUKKAH
Enjoy the Holidays guys, life is too short.
Rick

Clemsonfan

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 09:59:12 PM »
I have played it a few rounds, and it is a good ball.  I have been using the Snell My Tour ball shortly after they launched because they were such a good deal when bundled -$26.99/dozen, and longer than the Pro V1.

This ball has a similar dimple pattern to the Snell ball, and it was an easy transition for me. I don't know about dimple depth, but they flew similar distances.  The Kirkland is a 4-piece versus the 3-piece Snell, and I love it around the greens.  Great on pitches and chips, and no transition time for me on putts.  I made 5 birdies with three putts over 20' so it was a good putting day.  Very good quality!
Jeff

bogie

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 03:31:36 PM »
They won't be selling them anymore. They used left over Taylormade cores for the Kirkland ball. It upset the golf ball industry. I imagine Taylormade was not happy. A quick end to the Kirkland Golf Ball. Did they accidently reveal how much profit there is in golf balls?
“"I think it is possible for ordinary people to choose to be extraordinary."– Elon Musk
Bettinardi BB2 350 3-Slot
Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan X-Prototype FS
Byron Morgan 612

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 03:50:33 PM »
Some other news was that they were selling a British ball (Quattro?) overruns... it was a high priced ball that they sold overruns of at a very low price... and there will be no more overruns made available to them.

Perhaps the truth is a little of both stories.

Jimbo  8)
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

ws6

• Is it summer yet?
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 12:17:06 AM »
Did they accidently reveal how much profit there is in golf balls?

I worked for a large OEM 20 years ago, and I realize times and costs have changed since then.  Back then, wound balls with urethane covers cost a little less than $4 a dozen to make and package - manufacturing and packaging costs only, no marketing/tour player costs included.  Multi layer (they were just getting popular then) balls costs $2 a dozen.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:21:13 AM by ws6 »

towncryer

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 05:51:09 PM »

bogie

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 07:28:32 PM »
I think they realized what a hot product the inexpensive quality golf balls are so now they WILL return. The big question is will they be good as the first batches? Will the price be the same? Lots of questions w/o answers.
“"I think it is possible for ordinary people to choose to be extraordinary."– Elon Musk
Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612

towncryer

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 07:33:27 PM »
I think they realized what a hot product the inexpensive quality golf balls are so now they WILL return. The big question is will they be good as the first batches? Will the price be the same? Lots of questions w/o answers.

I'm going to speculate...

1. They will be the same price.
2. They won't be exactly the same ball...I've read that the maker of the last ball (Nassau) has no compelling reason to make the balls for Costo...the Quattro's that were the K-Sigs were leftovers from a run. Again...just what I've read, noting official.
3. It will still be a good ball...urethane cover, multi-piece core...but maybe not quite as nice.

Personally...I see the appeal of cheap tour-quality balls. I'm sure the K-Sigs are about as good as Pro V1. But I'm not going to go out of my way to get my hands on any. I'd still rather play Pro V1x and pay what Titleist wants. I'm a loyalist and I think they make the best ball by far.

bogie

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 12:56:43 PM »
One negative I read was that the Kirkland ball covers looked very beat up after a round. I saw a pic of a Pro V and a Kirkland side by side after one round. Pro V OK, Kirkland not OK. We will see. All is just speculation at this time.
Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612

mmckee02

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 03:30:16 PM »
One negative I read was that the Kirkland ball covers looked very beat up after a round. I saw a pic of a Pro V and a Kirkland side by side after one round. Pro V OK, Kirkland not OK. We will see. All is just speculation at this time.

I have a bunch, and have played full rounds with them.  They hold up just as well as any other soft cover ball.

Mark

playmaker

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 10:06:29 AM »
Is there anywhere else to get the Kirkland ball... other than costco?

jpwb8

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 05:17:46 PM »
Might be able to pick some up on the bay but I heard that costco are getting some more in.
Bombora Secrets
Tad Moore Barn Find
Mills One
Acushnet Bullseye (flanged)

game 'em all!

playmaker

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 04:52:36 PM »
got ya... thanks

Aloha B.

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 06:40:42 PM »
I haven't seen them listed yet on the Costco site but I'm lucky that there's two Costco's within 3 miles from my house.

playmaker

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 09:27:14 PM »
yea ive looked, but no luck yet

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 06:20:28 AM »
Well, I think there is a Costco that sells them ...about 10,000 miles from my place (eat your heart out Jimbo) so I guess I will have to rely on you boys for reviews.

Really interested actually to hear from anyone here that plays a full round with them to see how they stack up. I played a PROV1X for years but recently switched to the Callaway Chrome Soft based purely on price and I find it very similar.

kind regards,
Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

robi

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 07:11:27 AM »
I have not played the Kirkland (sounds like good value), but the Costco business model is based on membership fees - which is ultimately becomes the bottom line ( I don't belong). This has created a buzz and becomes another reason to go to the store and renew your membership. Great business model.

It appeals to the emotion of getting a deal - just like loading up your BMW or Mercedes with paper towels and toilet paper because you can save 50 cents!

I'm so glad that buying a new custom putter is so logical and practical!

Aloha B.

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 10:40:09 PM »
You can buy the latest version on the Costco website. Limit two per order which is 4 dozen and the site let me order twice this afternoon so I have 8 dozen being delivered tomorrow.

RobotDoctor

• Coffee drinking hacker
    • NewHorizonAuto
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 08:26:05 PM »
 Nice!  I decided not to order even though I had a couple of boxes (4 dozen) in my Costco cart.  I have 6 dozen from December at home to play with so I decided to let others try the ball.
TP Mills Tour Huey
TP Mills Heritage
and a few others

ws6

• Is it summer yet?
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 08:13:29 AM »
I ordered 2 dozen.  This will be the first time I have tried them. 

I already have way more dozens than I need, but I couldn't resist. 

bend of the river gc

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 11:58:45 AM »
I dont see them on the COSTCO website????
C&L/350Milled Oil Can (2), Byron 007 oil can, Byron 711 oil can, SC Cali Hollywood, SC IBDD (I have 2!), SC 303 SS Newport, SC Circa #2, Black Lab BL-1 welded long neck, BL-1 Oil Can, Cleveland TA 1 Milled, and an old trusty Ram Zebra.....
A Custom LaJosi is up next!

RobotDoctor

• Coffee drinking hacker
    • NewHorizonAuto
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2017, 10:29:11 AM »
The balls sold out in a few hours.  Out of stock again.
TP Mills Tour Huey
TP Mills Heritage
and a few others

DaveB00T

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2017, 09:06:33 AM »
I ordered a few of these(aka maximum) and I played them for the first time, last weekend. I really like them, they held together well. I played the same ball the whole round and the only mark I had was from hitting a pine tree. My TM TP wedges(new this season) didn't chew the cover up.

I was very surprised on the penetration of wind on my driver, we had a 2 club wind when facing certain directions.

They do feel a bit harder and a little more clickier off my putter(but that is fine). My regular ball is Pro-V1x.

As a lot of other reviews, they are definitely worth the cost, even if they went up to $25 a dozen.

Dave
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 09:08:44 AM by DaveB00T »
The course options:
Byron Morgan - Blacks Beach DH89
Byron Morgan - Designed by Captain Morgan #13/25
Byron Morgan - Bombora 8)
Byron Morgan - Damascus Stainless Steel DH89
Scotty Cameron - CS NP Beach, TeI3 NPII gen2, CLN