Author Topic: damascus steel putter  (Read 1137 times)

playmaker

damascus steel putter
« on: September 09, 2016, 01:12:01 PM »
is there any bennefit to Damascus steel putter over american stainless steel putters?    such as durability or feel?

reflog74

Re: damascus steel putter
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 02:20:33 PM »
Damascus may be stainless or carbon, and compares to regular stainless and carbon, IMO. No better; no worse. Just pretty.

John

playmaker

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 02:25:48 PM »
Thanks john. Thinking about buying Damascus stainless, I just had concerns on the durability.  I had a bad experience with a carbon putter that rusted some after 2 rounds of play.

reflog74

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 03:34:29 PM »
No question, carbon requires maintenance, or plating. In addition to stainless, aluminum bronze and copper are other low maintenance materials to consider.

John

Jarreth

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 06:34:40 PM »
Carbon Damascus will rust if not oiled/kept dry.

Stainless Damascus requires no maintenance at all and has an excellent feel. I have a SS and Carbon Damascus and they feel completely different than regular carbon and SS putters that I have.

Stainless Steel Damascus has a nice firm feel and when hit on the sweet spot provides a glassy/wood bat crack feel. To me I believe the different grains of forged metal provide more depth in the feel, it's hard to describe.

IMO it's also the most gorgeous material to look at. SS Damascus pattern looks like lightning. I have a SS Damascus in the swap shop now for reference.

Lajosi DD201 Down Under Damascus

Xenon Jr. Kurve
Xenon AlmN Element Bag Tag

playmaker

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 07:03:20 PM »
Man now I really want one.. Durability is huge to me.. I know there are a lot of factors in the pricing of one, but do you know what they typically run? I'm guessing around 1500?

Jarreth

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 07:23:14 PM »
Yes. They are upward of $1,100 to$1,500 for sure, some much more. 

I have a NEW MINT Xenon SS Damascus for sale at a steal for $850 shipped now. If you want more info on it let me know.

Xenon Jr. Kurve

Jarreth

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 07:27:19 PM »
You can view pics of it here on PT in the swap shop, I have it listed for sale here.  Check it out.

Xenon Jr. Kurve

playmaker

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 08:27:17 PM »
That is an awesome putter man!  I'm gonna look for a dh89 Byron Morgan, but your putter is enticing!

Jarreth

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 08:28:55 PM »
Thank you and good luck!

Xenon Jr. Kurve

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 06:43:17 AM »
Damascus may be stainless or carbon, and compares to regular stainless and carbon, IMO. No better; no worse. Just pretty.

John
This ^^^^^^^^

Mine is below - the 3rd one Kari Lajosi hand forged making his own billet.

So how did you go - got one to show us yet? If you were thinking Byron I believe, I have seen his Damascus and they are absolutely stunning.

Keep us updated.  :)

Rob

Kind regards,
Rob