Author Topic: 8803/Napa Advice  (Read 1434 times)

mhwgc3

8803/Napa Advice
« on: June 07, 2016, 05:51:59 AM »
As you can see from the attached picture I'm a fan of the original 8803/Napa shape putters and have a few Scotty's, James Ingles, a couple of 8803s and an older John Byron (not all shown in the pic).

I've been looking online and am potentially interested in a Bettinardi or Byron Morgan in the same shape but probably in a copper finish. Based in the UK I've not seen any of these in the flesh and just wanted to check with you guys to see if anyone has any experience of these and what there thoughts are, both positive and negative please?

Thanks
Martin

thegooddoctor

Re: 8803/Napa Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 09:29:13 AM »
both are awesome. Betti's shape is very appealing to my eye, Byron for a copper is going to be much cheaper, still be awesome, and he is a one man show so you get to deal with and customize more with him. Plus, he's an awesome guy. Make sure you look at Mannkrafted, Xenon, Lajosi, and Tad Moore as well, those plus betti and Byron make the best 8802 style IMO.
Evan
That's it! No more putters....for at least a week:)

jcigars

• Section Moderator
  • 303MILLED.COM
    • 303 Milled
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 09:40:41 AM »
Byron currently does not have any 8811's available for custom orders.

Kari's LP808 is really nice I definitely would look into on of his putters.

Stage1350

• Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 11:09:22 PM »
The Bettinardi can be had in pure copper or DASS copper plated or DASS with a copper insert.  I own a pure copper BB2 that is quite soft.  One of my favorites, right up there with my Damascus putters and original signed Wilson Designed by Arnold Palmer.

Byron has made a few 8811/Designed by Captain Morgan putters.  All are stainless with copper plate.  I have one of the original 4 made with the copper plating.  Distance control is a little spottier for me, but take that with a grain of salt because I don't putt well with any stainless putter. 

The BB2 Dass/copper inserts are fairly common and can be occasionally found.  Probably your best combination of feel and price.  They tend to be around 330g. 

I also have a handmade Xenon made from pure copper.  My first built to my specs.  Very tasty!  Currently saving up for a TeCu Mann #6266

The other option is an older Cleveland Designed by BeCu.  Beryllium Copper just like the old Ping Eye2 irons.  These came in around 325g and are identically shaped to the Designed by Arnold Palmer.  They aren't milled, but are very soft.  I have one of these if you are interested.  PM me. 

There are also a lot of copper plated carbon steel putters, including the 1996/500 Cameron Napa, Yamada Razor, and Palombi 421. 

If you haven't picked up a Tad Moore Barn Find, I'd recommend you start looking for one.  Instead of a copper insert, they have inserts from Mokume Gane.   Beautiful putters.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:13:21 PM by Stage1350 »
Adams Damascus 8802
Bettinardi 110Cu BB2
Byron DB Captain Morgan Cu 1/4
Cameron 1996/500 Copper Napa
Giannini 1992 handmade 8802
Lajosi Damascus LP-808
Mills 8802 handmade
Scratch McCoy 8802 handmade
Tad Moore Hoffman 8802 Cu
Wilson DB Arnold Palmer
Xenon 8802 copper handmade #388
Yamada Razor Cu

mhwgc3

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 08:45:39 AM »
Guys - thanks for getting back to me with your advice, much more than I expected. Clearly I need to do a bit more research.
I'm not sure if I'm ready for a handmade yet, at this stage I was looking at otr 'ish and I'm almost certainly done with Scotty's, I seem to have paid a lot to get them on the secondary market. I see that Bettinardi has a Studio stock #6 but not sure what the finish is.

mtstartup

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 06:57:10 PM »
That Lajosi is sweet
Tour Issue M1 9.5 430 with Matrix Prototype X
Tour Issue Aeroburner 14.0 with Matrix 8m2 X
Tour Issue Aeroburner 16.0 with Lime Green Matrix 8m2 X
Srixon tour issue Z945 blades with PXi 6.5
Cleveland rotex 2.0 tour issue 54 and 62.
Byron Morgan 612 Proto

dans4fun

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 02:49:51 AM »
 :)

The Tad Moore that Stage talked about also comes in The Tour Classic.  Copper insert, much easier to find and less $ than the Barn Find, which is hard to find.  Milled by Bettinardi, I believe, or at least so I've heard.  Nice Putter.

The Byron Designed By is a must have.  I bought a used one and had Byron refinish it in the orig finish.  Wow.

Dan

JelUltra

• Section Moderator
  • Mmmm... Buttery Blades!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 03:09:47 PM »
Weight is a big consideration.

David Mills has a nice rendition of the 8802 - DFM 8802 on his site.  Around 350g.  I'm sure he can grind weight off if you prefer lighter.

Byron's Designed By is also quite nice - he can grind weight off if you don't like the +/-350g as well.

Kari Lajosi also does excellent work.  Plus - with the exchange rate right now (if you're in the US), you can get a pretty nice putter for a nice price off his website.

See Stage1350's post as well.  He knows his 8802 style putters!
Read it, roll it, hole it.

mhwgc3

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 03:30:51 AM »
Thanks for all your suggestions.

xxio

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 10:54:46 PM »
Bobby Grace is having a sale. He has a 8802 style with a line along the flange that has 2 insert options.

I was tempted but it was not a big enough of a sale price in the end. Decent though if you don't have to ship to the Philippines like I would have had to do.

thegooddoctor

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 12:16:53 PM »
saw that, 200 is a steal
That's it! No more putters....for at least a week:)

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 06:55:09 AM »
Hey Martin, my 8802 blade brother!

Good to see you on here, it's a great site, great guys AND you can talk about ALL the putters.

Stage and the other guys have already given you sage advice and I need not repeat it. I will just say that Custom Made does not always mean top dollar. Below is my hand made from Kari Lajosi and he is a fantastic guy to work with and his prices are reasonable. This one has a purple stitchback grip and my initials on the toe. Being the world's most infantile man, I basically told him to make me a putter Batman would use - voila!!  ;D
I also have a DBCM in the Mystic Pearl and if you see one for sale - sell the cutlery!

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

mhwgc3

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 04:33:24 AM »
Hey Rob
Thanks for getting back to me.
That Lajosi looks great and love the milling. In terms of length of the head, how does it compare to a Scotty?
Cheers
Martin

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 07:56:26 AM »
Hey Rob
That Lajosi looks great and love the milling. In terms of length of the head, how does it compare to a Scotty?
Cheers
Martin
Hello mate,

Moving at the moment and in between houses. I will check them out and get back to you. I have to tread carefully - the wife thinks all those yellow boxes have only one putter in each of them! ha ha ha. I recently posted a few special items in my collection thread here including some blades you will love and I have a few VERY special blades on the way.

Always good to hear from you mate, I will take some comparison pics and get back to you.  ;)

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

mhwgc3

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 10:02:33 AM »
Hey Rob
Cheers
Martin
Hello mate,

Moving at the moment and in between houses. I will check them out and get back to you. I have to tread carefully - the wife thinks all those yellow boxes have only one putter in each of them! ha ha ha. I recently posted a few special items in my collection thread here including some blades you will love and I have a few VERY special blades on the way.

Always good to hear from you mate, I will take some comparison pics and get back to you.  ;)

Rob

Hey mate - thanks for getting back to me and look forward to hearing from you when you get a moment.
In the meantime I'll check out your collection page.
I'm also interested in the Linksoul D'Arcy.
Cheers
Martin