Author Topic: Surgery for a Spider!...any advice?  (Read 4076 times)

Kilmidyke

Surgery for a Spider!...any advice?
« on: January 16, 2010, 10:50:51 PM »
I am going to have a go at a home-refinish of a Spider i recently aquired, so....

How is the frame attached to the body? Has anyone even attempted this before and if not...am I crazy to even think about it? lol

Can the insert be removed? Is the insert held in place with epoxy? Whats the best method for removing it?

Is the 'red' of the insert there forever or is there a method for getting it to "polished silver"?

Is it feasible to have a go at this or is it really best left to a professional?

Lots of questions....anyone got any answers or suggestions?

:) Liam :)

PutterHead #235 reporting for duty! :)

super20dan

Re: Surgery for a Spider!...any advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 07:39:04 AM »
why bother just use it as is

Kilmidyke

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 10:21:33 AM »
I hear ya, but I have no money tied up in this at all, so it'd just be an experiment.  It was repainted by the previous owner, it has a 2 ball scheme on the top of it at the moment and the whole frame has been painted black with automotive paint and it's not the greatest job in the world. It worked for him I guess, and every credit to the guy for having a go, but i'd like to try and clean it up.

I would just like to get the stainless frame back to stainless and strip & re-paint the body. If I need to media blast the parts to do it, I wondered if media blasting the insert removes the red and gets it back to silver, if so I think that'd be pretty cool looking. As far as the body of the thing goes, who knows what color it'll end up being or if it'll have any alignment aids or maybe it'll be stripped and bead blasted.
Who knows if it will even get done, it's JAT :P at the moment.
PutterHead #235 reporting for duty! :)

SOUTHERNFRIED

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 04:59:34 AM »
The rossa I blasted, the insert turned silver............thats all I got for ya, good luck. ;)

kahkwa golfer

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 10:38:07 PM »
Sounds like quite the project. Good luck with it.
The Mini Collection
Scratch-Nead SN-07 Stainless First Run 50/100
Scratch-Nead SN-07 Carbon
John Byron Dalehead 9
Slighter Snubnose

Mbuilder

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 11:35:29 AM »
i owuld think with the media blasting the body would look stripped and bead balsted, which would be a really good look. paint fill the alignment aid and lettering, leave the insert silver and I think it would look great!