Author Topic: NEW: Test Putter No. 4 - 006 in 303 stainless steel  (Read 28696 times)

drewspin

NEW: Test Putter No. 4 - 006 in 303 stainless steel
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:34:41 AM »
We have a new 006 in 303 stainless steel that we will start taking orders for soon, so we are offering a demo program for this putter.

I believe the demo putter will have triple polish (beadblasted top lines, polished neck, face, sole and bumpers, a sightline, no sound slot and weigh 355g.

To sign up for the demo program for Test Putter No. 4, read the program rules and sign up instructions here:
http://www.puttertalk.com/community/index.php/topic,3022.0.html

The first date listed is the estimated arrival date, the second date is the Ship By date.

01. jib - COMPLETED 
02. Cunham32 - COMPLETED
03. foreleft53- COMPLETED
04. jzatl04-completed
05. simmons_m Completed
06. ironplayer-completed
07.CameronKid66- completed
08. 8thehardway-completed
09.ggcolorado-completed
10. pope00-completeted
11. daydreamer
12. blkdiamond
13.67cougar
14.herbst20

You will receive an email from me with the shipping details for the next person on the list.
We will adjust the calendar as needed to account for shipping delays.  If you are done with the putter early, please send it along ahead of schedule.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:18:14 AM by Z-MAN »

Z-MAN

Re: NEW: Test Putter No. 4 - 006 in 303 stainless steel
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 05:19:55 PM »
This is a real beauty. There is no paint fill at this time
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 05:23:12 PM by Z-MAN »

ironplayer

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 02:00:40 PM »
This is one great looking putter.   I have 006 303 Steel with sound slot, and it's my THE gamer ( i keep coming back to this putter after trying few camerons i have.  For a putter that i want to play the game, there is nothing above Byron putter for its appearance/quality/performance).  The design you have here is great.  and I've been seriously thinking of getting another 006 with no sound slot.

The only tiny thing i could ask for more is that if Byron can line up the stamping on the face directly under the neck (It looks slightly to the right of the neck line...i know i'm picky).  other than that, I like it just as it is. 

If this one goes onto production, how much would it be ? 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 02:02:19 PM by ironplayer »

drewspin

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 06:15:25 PM »
This is one great looking putter.   I have 006 303 Steel with sound slot, and it's my THE gamer ( i keep coming back to this putter after trying few camerons i have.  For a putter that i want to play the game, there is nothing above Byron putter for its appearance/quality/performance).  The design you have here is great.  and I've been seriously thinking of getting another 006 with no sound slot.

The only tiny thing i could ask for more is that if Byron can line up the stamping on the face directly under the neck (It looks slightly to the right of the neck line...i know i'm picky).  other than that, I like it just as it is. 

If this one goes onto production, how much would it be ? 

They are in stock and ready to order. 

The base price is $300.00 shipped in the USA.

We will have order forms for these posted very soon... I was hoping to have them done by January 1, but we are still waiting on some infomation from Byron.

jib

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 05:44:23 PM »
Yesterday, I was this box sitting in the corner and my fiance said oh yeah, I think your putter came.  So, I rolled some balls on the carpet, put it down, rolled more, from about 6:30-11pm.  I couldn't leave it alone!  Nothing like Naked ASS! 

To me it looked a lot like the pictures; so, I'm not going to add my own.  From the head cover on, it screamed craftsmanship.  I loved the mirrorry look and am going for naked, gleam city. 

How did it play?  Well, I don't have a lot to compare considering my current putter is older than some of the kids on tour.  I thought the Scotty Teryllium was clickier on impact; 006 was more solid feeling with better feedback.  I definitely knew when I hit the sweet spot but my misses were far better.  I love the Byron grip but the rest of my clubs have bigger grips and so shall my new putter. 

Ok, so, I'm really for my own piece of A.S.S.

Ridgecrest18

• "The more you know, the less you need"
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 04:38:47 PM »
Do all of the 006 Stainless have sight lines on the rear flange?  Any that are blank, no sight line or dot?

Z-MAN

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 04:44:15 PM »
You can get them anyway you want.

Ridgecrest18

• "The more you know, the less you need"
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 09:29:05 PM »
Drew,

You can take my name off the demo-list for the 006 SS, as Steve tells me I've got a custom already on its way to me.....

This should make the next in line happy...

Thanks,
Robb

Z-MAN

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 08:59:10 PM »
Lets skip #3 and send it to #4. jzatl04 send us your shipping info

foreleft53

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 01:13:08 PM »
Wait...
Why are we skipping me????

Z-MAN

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 07:26:35 PM »
Need your shipping address

cunham32

• looks good on you, though.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 06:03:21 PM »
Review of 006 in 303 Stainless:

This is my first experience with a Byron putter for what that is worth.  I signed up to test to see what all the fuss was about and I must say I was impressed.

First, I have never used a 355g head putter before.  My current gamer is 330g.  I understand now why a heavier head appeals to some.  It promotes a smoother swing, at least it did for me, especially on faster greens.  Those tricky 3 foot come backers can make you flinch and this putter helps with that.

I really like the look of the 303 SS.  I think the matte finish on top and the more polished finish on the face and bottom is a nice touch.  No glare problems when putting at high noon.  The other thing I really liked about the look of this putter is that it isn't too busy.  Some other brands of putters have too many stamps and logos and whatnot all over them.  This one is simple and classic.  Not bashing anyone's taste in stamps, just a personal preference.

The grip has a nice solid feel and I love the headcover.  Byron has some great looking headcovers in my limited experience in person and from what I have seen on his website. 

All in all, I think this is a great club and am putting it on my 'buy in the future' list.  Hope you guys can gain some knowledge from a newbie like myself and really enjoyed testing it out.  It is now on the way to the next tester.

Cheers!

CameronKid66

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 08:35:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience and review......

Hector

Maverickping

• Section Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 12:01:32 PM »
Looks really nice!

Richard

foreleft53

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 02:54:24 PM »
Test Putter #4 just showed up today!!!!
I'm going to gather the committee and report back in a few days!!!!

foreleft53

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 05:06:46 PM »
#4 has been placed in a fresh box and is on her way to #4 on the list.   
Full review pending input from committee members.

nvgolfdude

• Born to golf. Forced to work.
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 11:00:08 AM »
#4 has been placed in a fresh box and is on her way to #4 on the list.  
Full review pending input from committee members.

foreleft53 - How's that review coming along?  I sent you my thoughts...  I know you are playing a tournament today.  Good luck and play well!
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

simmons_m

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 12:55:08 AM »
will someone get NV a new icon? :)
I can't wait to test out #4
Mike

nvgolfdude

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 11:15:08 PM »
will someone get NV a new icon? :)
I can't wait to test out #4
Mike

When I find just the right World Series Champ image, there will be an update.

Foreleft53, the review, we're waiting...  :popcorn:  :poke:  :wtf:  Oh, and a report on your tournament play as well.
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

foreleft53

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 06:55:08 PM »
NV,
2 things...
1. No tournament... My Jetta wouldn't plow through the snow  :hmm:
2.  Is it me, or is your list of putters getting longer????

I'll keep you waiting with the review...     :P

See you later

nvgolfdude

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 08:25:05 PM »
NV,
2 things...
1. No tournament... My Jetta wouldn't plow through the snow  :hmm:
2.  Is it me, or is your list of putters getting longer????

I'll keep you waiting with the review...     :P

See you later

Foreleft53, I've tried the patch.  I've tried group therapy.  None of those things have worked for me... :o  So, I guess that I'm doomed to keep adding to the collection... ;)

Meanwhile, the world waits for the review.   :popcorn:  At this rate we're expecting Pulitzer Prize winning stuff from you golf pro.  8)
nvgolfdude@live.com

jzatl04

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 11:50:40 PM »
Received Test Putter #4 today.  Looks great and a review will be coming soon!

foreleft53

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 05:33:31 PM »
After about two weeks of slow playing this review...   Here we go.
I'm going to keep it short and simple.  I think that so many positive things have been said about this putter, it's difficult to come up with something new.  I can only thing of good things about Byron's.  EVERY putter that I have rolled feels amazing.  I own the S4 (thanks nvgolfdude and themann), I've tested the 007, 006, and 007 with a sound slot and fell in love with all of them.
The group feels the same way.  None of us could find an ill word for this putter in reference to feel and performance.   We did feel that she needed some paintfill, but other than that, all good! 
What can I say; other that Byron has hit a HOMERUN with these putters.   IMHO this program was the best idea that I have ever heard.  With Byron being a small putter company, it's important to get the word out to the masses.  I can see Byron's on tour full time in the near future. 
Once again, great putter and a great company!!!

waggle

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 10:24:26 PM »
Sent an email to join this group, but no response...Is it full?

Thanks

ironplayer

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 11:14:38 PM »
i hope that i can see this putter before the new winter.  :-\ 

localfitch

• Plastic Thomas Riker
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2008, 11:49:02 PM »
That looks like a solid gamer... good luck to the test group.

Z-MAN

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 12:16:39 AM »
Send me a email to Steve @turfsurfer.com  We will get you on the list

simmons_m

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 11:43:23 PM »
#4 is in hand, and it is SPECTACULAR  :w00t:

Just returned from a trip to MN, thank you jzatl04 for turning on the heater up there, the highs were in the high 40's, but there was still this weird white stuff on the ground.

I had a chance to roll #4 on the green this evening, and it feels great, and puts an amazing roll on the ball.  The head feels a little heavier than my other 355G putter, but i think it may be because of the shaft and the grip. The shaft is a Nippon, and the grip is an iomic, does that make sense to you guys out there, that the head would feel a little heavier?

I really love the way this club looks at address, and think the sandblast vs polished finish is really cool.  I also like the no-paint fill approach, although I will probably go with a sight dot rather than a sight line on my 1st Morgan.  This is the first Morgan i have played with, and i do not want to give it back. 

Summary -
Looks Great
Rolls Great
Feels Great

I am going to play around with it over the weekend, and get it shipped out to #6 on Monday or Tuesday.  Ironplayer, can you PM your address to me?

Drew - is a stepless shaft and an Iomic grip an option on Morgan? Maybe we should talk soon about placing an order.

Z-MAN

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 09:06:08 AM »
Yes we can do both. I have talked to the Nippon Guys and will ordering more soon.

simmons_m

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2008, 01:42:25 PM »
One more comment on the 006.  The other test that i compared it to include 3 others that are in my rotation.  (1 cameron newport classic (ol'faithful), a Del Mar 3.5, and a custom putter)  The other three putters are set to my specs, 68.5 lie, 4* loft. 

When I order an 006 (discussing it now) it will be part of the rotation, and will probably put the del mar and ol' faithful back up on the wall. 

Thanks again guys,

Mike

ironplayer

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 01:38:35 AM »
simmons,

I've sent you the pm with my add a couple days ago.  very much looking forward to seeing the 006 SS w/o sound slot. 

btw, what's the length of this putter?

Thanks,

8thehardway

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 10:50:30 AM »
Loft and lie angle would be helpful too.

Bettinardi -- 44 Magnum
Billings -- First Release #46
Burns -- 9304 Masters Winner Comm.
Byron -- 3 Coin, Copper Cush
G-Field -- Pro Forged L
Grace -- W.R.X. 017 Tour
Slighter -- Needle 425g, Needle 375g, Kirkland, Bellevue
Tad Moore -- Damascus

Z-MAN

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2008, 02:15:48 PM »
The loft is 3 and the lie is 72.. I am thinking the putter is 34 inches. Whoever has it right now please measure this putter. Anyone who wants to join this group send me a email at steve@byronputters.com

curryj

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 08:32:15 PM »
Love the comments guys!!!
& obviously love Byrons too... one question - has onyone compared the SS 006 to a carbon 006???
I have an 006 in plated carbon and am only looking for an excuse to order a 006 in ss. Go on somebody tell me it's worth the investment...

ironplayer

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2008, 02:15:07 PM »
CameronKid66,

Please PM me your address so i can ship the putter to you.

In brief, it's another great piece of work from Byron.  I like it a lot.  I have 006 SS with the sound slot, and mine is actually 365 gram head (and it's 32" long) with fine milled face.  In comparison, this test putter feels 'softer', and mine feels more crisper.    Since the test putter is 35" inch along with 355 gram, it felt lighter and that might have been a factor in the feeling at the impact as well. 

As i play mostly on 'not so great condition' greens and thus the speed is rather slow, i prefer little 'heavier' head.  But at the sametime, i like the simplicity, and the well-balanced head of the test putter. 

Z-Man,

Is there any way Byron will do the sole of the putter to be Round shape?   (instead of its current 3 sides(?) with the apparent bending point?

Thanks,

Z-MAN

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2008, 03:34:33 PM »
It can be done

ironplayer

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2008, 01:12:11 PM »
talking about comparing 006SS to Carbon 006, I don't have carbon 006, but i have Cameron mill spec 33/350.  so did compare this putter to the test putter (i always wanted to do this ever since i got my 006SS with the sound slot...i wanted to compare 006SS without the sound slot to the cameron). 

In a word, BYRON wins ! =)

It's just as smooth as cameron, yet i feel more of the impact (better feeling and better transfer of the 'hit' to my hands).  I like SS for its durability and simplicity, and having it with the smooth/soft feeling of carbon head.....what else is there to ask ?

ironplayer

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
Z-Man,

can you please contact whoever is still in line for this test putter to send me the address ?  It's been sitting in my garage for more than a week now.

thanks,

CameronKid66

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2008, 06:42:47 PM »
I just completed testing this beautiful A.S.S. 006.  I used a ProV1 and Bridgestone e6 during the testing.

Grip:  The Lamkin Byron grip is awesome, not too thick, not too thin, just perfect, at least for my grip.

Weight and Lenght:  The weight and lenght combination was great, specially on slow greens the putter performed very well.

Feel:  The ball came out of the face with a nice true roll and with a soft feel.  Very different from a model with a slot.

Headcover:  The Welshman headcover is a beauty.

Finish:  I was skeptical at first, but the finish is very nice and is not a problem during sunny days.  I would consider the finish in the future.  The fine face milling is nice and the lack of paintfill gives the putter a different look.

Overall, the A.S.S. 006 is a great putter.  It looks great at address and it feels even better at impact.   I really enjoyed playing this putter and would recommend this putter to anybody interested in buying a Morgan putter.

I want to thank Steve for the opportunity to test this beauty.

Hector

Z-MAN

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2008, 10:12:43 PM »
No ,thank you Hector. I really like the test putter program. The guys get to try out these nice putters and see if they fit stroke before they would buy one. We always say there is no one putter for everyone.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 08:05:38 AM by Z-MAN »

CameronKid66

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2008, 10:40:43 PM »
It was my pleasure!  Can't wait for the next one!  Thanks Steve and Mr. Morgan for the test program.

Hector

jaydub

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2008, 10:43:29 PM »
Steve, the question really is:  Can anyone live with just one putter?

Z-MAN

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2008, 08:06:04 AM »
I sure can`t.

Hit-em

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2008, 02:20:07 PM »
Email Sent !!

Z-MAN

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2008, 02:59:53 PM »
Your on it..

CameronKid66

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2008, 03:03:45 PM »
Steve, according to my tracking, the putter has arrived to the next location.

Hector

Hit-em

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2008, 03:36:07 PM »
Steve,
Thanks, looking forward to it  :)

herbst20

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2008, 03:46:51 PM »
PM SENT!
In the Bag
Callaway Epic Subzero 10 degree
Cobra F7 3-4 wood
Titleist 712 AP2   4-PW
Titlest Spin Milled 6  54-60
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 Pecans and Peaches  (Gamer)
Byron DH89
Byron 007 Spud
Byron Z Bomber
Scotty Cameron 2.6

8thehardway

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2008, 04:25:59 PM »
#4 arrived 5 pm yesterday and I was on the practice green by 6. I'll need more time with it but the feel is amazing.
Bettinardi -- 44 Magnum
G-Field -- Pro Forged L
Grace -- W.R.X. 017 Tour
Tad Moore -- Damascus

8thehardway

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2008, 03:50:23 PM »
ggcolorado - pm me your shipping address and I'll send it out the next day.

After three rounds and six hours on the practice green I'm declaring the 006 an outstanding putter.

The specs are entirely different from my gamer  - a longer, heavier, face balanced mallet - and it took a while to adjust. The hardest part was shifting my stroke from mechanical to feel, and feel is the heart and soul of this putter. All balls hard and soft came off soft, but the Pro Vs and the Callaway Tour 56s were pure heaven.

The combination of soft face and 3* loft produced good distance on short and medium putts, while long putts required more effort than I can accurately manage, but these were muni greens that stimped about 7. With a slightly longer shaft I'm sure distance control would be outstanding.

Without paintfill, the sightline looks like two thin black lines and was a perfect visual aid. My final round yielded a moderately breaking twenty-footer and an uphill/downhill slider from 12 feet.

Feedback was great as well. My gamer doesn't provide feedback but the 006 let me know when I missed the sweet spot. I couldn't tell how off center my stroke was - putts would either feel perfectly soft or slightly harder - but I don't need more information then that.

I loved the workman-like appearance at address but never got use to the contrast between it and the highly polished face and sole. If it didn't change the feel I'd probably get the entire putter bead-blasted and let that great Welshman Made putter cover do the talking. On the green it's telling the other putters "You might win some but you just lost one." 

I'd recommend this putter without reservation to anyone seeking a soft, responsive feel and the highest quality workmanship.

Bettinardi -- 44 Magnum
G-Field -- Pro Forged L
Grace -- W.R.X. 017 Tour
Tad Moore -- Damascus