Author Topic: Test Putter No. 3 - Testing Group Filled  (Read 11871 times)

drewspin

Test Putter No. 3 - Testing Group Filled
« on: November 20, 2007, 09:24:47 AM »
Here is the order for Test Putter No. 3, a Rincon neck 007 done in black star:

Byron 007x, Rincon neck in 11L17 carbon steel, 350g, Black Star Mist plating, no sight line, no sight dot, sound slot, 34.25", Byron Lamkin grip

Please read the program rules and instructions here:
http://www.puttertalk.com/community/index.php/topic,3022.0.html

When the putter is available, we will update the schedule with estimated arrival dates, and ship by dates.

01   Below72   - COMPLETED
02   Jtrout1 - COMPLETED
03   Golfer40   - COMPLETED
04   cantputt   - COMPLETED
05   TangoJay    - COMPLETED
06   4rheel - COMPLETED
07   Nash-Completed
08   mc_cap-Completed
09   rudedog55-Completed
10   Herm33-COMPLETED
11   JetLV25-????
12   Crosier
13   tourblade
14   mth1081
15   RobotDoctor

You will receive an email from me with the shipping details for the next person on the list.
We will adjust the calendar as needed to account for shipping delays.  If you are done with the putter early, please send it along ahead of schedule.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 02:27:06 PM by Z-MAN »

below72

Re: Test Putter No. 3 - Testing Group Filled
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 03:41:50 PM »
I received the putter guys, will give a review ASAP. Been away for the holidays so the "use time" has been limited considerably..
"Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, riches take wing, and only character endures" HORACE GREELEY (1811-1872)

jtrout1

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 11:38:27 PM »
I received putter #3, and it's a beauty. Anyone could tell at a glance that this is a quality putter.
The finish, dull from the top view to reduce glare, with a polished face, sole, neck and bumpers, is truly a work of art.
Another special touch is the bullseye-like putter shaft, with the indentations surrounding it below the last step.

I had the opportunity to take it to the greens just before we covered them with tarps (it's even cold here in Mississippi).
The first thing that I noticed was the weight. It has a very solid feel, heavier than my 006 oil can.
This feel may be in part to the Byron grip, which is fairly thin, like the pingman.
At first I wasn't a fan of the grip, but the more I putted with it, the better it felt.
I've done a complete 180 on it in a matter of 48 hours- going from dislike to contemplating ordering some!
The feel and sound of the putter is great. Solid, but with that soft carbon feel.
I love the look of the hybrid neck even though I've done most of my putting with a plumber's neck.
I seemed to have an easier time releasing the putter through the stroke.

To sum up, this is a great putter, and it is a fantastic example of the quality of putters that Byron Morgan makes.

Thank you for the opportunity to try it!

drewspin

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 02:28:36 PM »
Lan -

Could you please estimate the amount of toe hang and offset on this putter?

Thanks,
Drew

jtrout1

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 04:00:34 PM »
here ya go-

drewspin

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 06:06:17 PM »
Is it a full shaft offset, or more like 3/4 shaft?

jtrout1

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 07:18:20 PM »
I'd call it 1/2.

seth pistol

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 11:57:27 PM »
so toe hang, would that be like 5 o'clock?  7 o'clock?

MarkCuranovic

• Hello ichiro... welcome to New York!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 12:06:27 AM »
5 oclock sounds right

cantputt

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 11:58:03 PM »
Test Putter #3 Review:

This was my first opportunity to see and putt with a Byron Morgan putter, so I really didn't know what to expect. When I got it out of the box, the first thought that came to mind was "quality." Everything about the putter was about craftsmanship. Even the weld on the neck looked classy, and I'm not big on welds that aren't ground down and smoothed out.

The first thing I noticed was the "Twilight Zone" milling. It's been said before, but pictures do not do it justice. It has to be seen to be truly appreciated. The Black Star Mist plating is a beautiful finish and it was really set off by the minimalist stamping. The only stamping on this putter is the "Byron Morgan" in the cavity, which allows the putter and the name speak for itself. The flowing Rincon neck tied the whole package together nicely with the semi-rounded lines of the 007 head.

I wasn't a big fan of the Byron Morgan Lamkin grip. I tried to like it, but it just didn't feel right in my hands.

Time to roll some putts! Being January in Ohio, I had to resort to carpet putting, but that's all right.

When I first looked down at the putter, something just didn't look right but I couldn't figure out what it was. (More on this later). The putter had a nice heavy weight, I'm guessing around 350 grams. It also had a very solid feel. I'm more of a black oxide guy, but for a plated putter this had a non-clicky, soft feel. The feedback was also enhanced by the sound slot. I definitely knew where I hit the putt on the face.

Now back to figuring out what didn't look right. I compared the 007 to some of my other putters to see if I could figure it out. Yes, the head is a little bit longer than some of them, but that wasn't it. The cavity is a little bit wider, too, but that wasn't it either. After rolling putts with it the second day I finally realized what it was: at address I could see the front of the toe. So, back to my other putters. When I looked at them closer, my Cameron TeI3 and Mil Spec Newports are the same way, but the lighter finish on the 007 made it more noticeable and a bit of a distraction.

In summary, I was extremely impressed. The quality and craftsmanship of this (and I'm sure all) Byron Morgan putter was second to none and the feel was as good as any putter I have ever putted with. I will definitely consider a Byron Morgan putter in the future and look forward to trying Test Putter #1.

T.J.

• Global Moderator
  • ANOTHER putter Dad? Mom's gonna kill you!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 09:53:48 PM »
Thank you cantputt! got it today.

Here are some comparisons of the test putter #3 with some standards, Ping Anser2, Ping Scottsdale Anser and my Byron 006 Oil can. I took the photos so some who do not own Byron, can compare the shape and size with some putters which are a common site at most golf shops and golf bags.

The photo at address shows a Byron 006 with the test#3 next to it, you can clearly see the matte finish on the test putter.

I rolled a few and will not give opinion until tomorrow when I can spend some time with it, I will give my opinion on the looks and finish.

The finish is very nice, great contrast of shine and matte on the top. The quality? nothing less than outstanding.

TJ

LIFE IS NOT FAIR! STOP WHINNING!!      Tee it up, let's play GOLF!

T.J.

• Global Moderator
  • ANOTHER putter Dad? Mom's gonna kill you!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 12:08:17 AM »
Test Putter #3 review.

Feel: It has a soft, yet solid feel, similar to my 006 Oil Can, but softer.

I used a Pro-V1, Pinnacle Exception and a Nike Tour Accuracy 2 piece balls.
It seems with this putter all you have to do is put it down, pick your line and it is up to you weather you pick the right line and speed.

The contrasting matte and shinny finish is very pleasing to the eye and even under a bright sun, no problem with glare.

There is little I can add to previous posts, feels good, pleasing to the eye and it is obvious it is made by someone who cares about the product his name goes on because it reaks quality and craftmanship.

TJ
LIFE IS NOT FAIR! STOP WHINNING!!      Tee it up, let's play GOLF!

4Rheel

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 05:40:31 PM »
More pics of putter #3 ...

RudeDog55

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 09:56:53 AM »
Test putter# 3 is now in my possession, i will carpet test and evaluate it this weekend, will the next person in line (Herm33) please pm me their info so i can send it out at the end of this week!!

thanx

Rudy

Herm33

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 10:27:42 AM »
Rudy,

Pm just sent to you with my shipping info!

RudeDog55

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 10:34:33 AM »
Well here it goes: My review of test putter# 3

Initial impression:  My initial impression was that this putter was well put together right from the start, from fit and finish, and even the headcover all exude fine craftmanship.

Feel: Very solid yet not clicky, you know when you hit it right and mishits still went straight along the intended line. I DO NOT like the grip, feels very thin and chalky like a baby T to me, maybe a coule of xtra layers of tape might help it, but i felt like i was holding a shaft with some chalk on it. Then again i am one of the few who like the winn grips, so i am probably in the minority here anyway. The putter swung heavy compared to my other putters, i.e. i have 3 putters with headweights 350-360g plus the Byron, the Byron "felt" the heaviest when swinging or holding it, neither good or bad just different, not too heavy not too light. The vibergroove (soundslot) i think is an added bonus to feel and gave the putter a very nice feel considering the plating.

Looks:  I Love the Balck star coating, plating whatever it is. I would love to see a totally polished Black Star in person with a black chrome shaft, it would be incredible. The Milling is unspeakable, just the right amount of mill chatter and the Face has to be seen to be appreciated. I am the 10th person on the list for this putter, it still looks BRAND NEW!!!! That in of istself is a testament to the quality of the work, coating and ESPECIALLY the people here at PUTTER TALK!!!

Additional comments: I genuinely like this putter, it was not for me, and i will not buy an exact copy of this one, it is close but not perfect for me. But this product exudes quality and style and i see another Byron in my future. Byron is truly a Craftman of the Highest order and i tip my cap to him.

thanx for reading my ramblings

Rudy

nvgolfdude

• Born to golf. Forced to work.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 01:43:20 PM »
Great review Rudy!
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

RudeDog55

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 07:50:18 PM »
Putter is enroute to Herm33, good luck with it, she's a beaut!!

Herm33

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 03:29:06 PM »
I'm picking this up from the post office this afternoon.  Unluckily I'm heading to Boston tomorrow night for a 3 day "mini vacation", so I'll probably give a quick review tomorrow and then a more full one over the weekend!

Herm33

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 02:52:32 PM »
Okay, picked this up last Tuesday, hit a few putts, then off to Boston until last Saturday, and got to spend some more time with it yesterday.  Although I was only able to hit putts on my carpet, I do have a stretch in our bedroom where I can roll 20 foot putts, so that helps.

My thoughts:

The look and craftmenship of the putter, as many others have noted, is outstanding.  It was very easy on the eyes from address, the milling, particularly on the face, is very cool, and the overall shape is very nice.  Although I prefer a little larger and more rounded bumpers like on an 009, I thought this putter looked great from address.  From a cosmetic standpoint, I'd probably prefer a site dot, but that's nothing major.  The weld neck was neat, I've never putted with one before and I see why others think it is pretty cool.

This is the first time I've putted with a putter with a sound slot in a long time.  And surprisingly, I was rather indifferent on the feedback it gave.  I could go with or without one and it wouldn't make a huge difference for me.  I felt that the plating though had a nice solid feel without being clicky.  In comparison, I have an OTR Studio Design 2.5 in black pearl, and I thought the Byron had an overall more solid and little bit softer feel to it.

As far as distance control and direction, I unfortunately felt like the weight and length translated into a putter whose swing weight was more than what is ideal for me.  I felt like the putter head was controlling the stroke a little too much.  I imagine that would be easily remedied for me by getting something in the 33.5"/345g range.

Overall, a very high quality putter with outstanding finish, shape, and feel.  This particular one wasn't the ideal set up for me, but I wouldn't hesitate to own an 007x that was set up for me.

I'll be sending it on to Chad in the next day or so.  Thanks Drew for arranging this test program!

Mike

Z-MAN

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 02:25:50 PM »
Lets keep this moving...

tourblade

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 04:58:46 AM »
Rincon neck 007 in black star:
I have a 007 w/a plumbers neck in black star but all plumbers-neck putters dont quite suit my eye so i was very excited to try out the rincon neck.
I absolutely love the look at address, i hit a few putts on the living room carpet and was extremely excited to get this on the course, the next day I played a round at harding park.
I really really wanted this to be my new stick but after 4 holes i noticed i was having problems with using a putter that has so much toe hang. I had problems consistently squaring up the face at impact.
I think a "goose-neck" would probably suit me better.
The sound/feel was a little bit louder than what i am used to, more like a "tink" sound. I would like to try one without the sound-slot.
If I was going to order one i would prefer the neck wasnt polished.
All in all this putter is gorgeous, it would be perfect for someone who uses a lot of right hand to close the face.
Thank you Drew for the opportunity to try out this putter.
mth1081, i will get this out to you fedex by mon afternoon.

mth1081

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 10:55:59 AM »
I received this putter last week from tourblade and have feel in love with the weight of the head. It has a great flow through the entire stoke. The sound slot has a nice feedback to my hands. I'm not overly crazy about the thickness of the grip or the shaft installed. I think the grip might be a little too small for my needs, but some other testers have liked it. Personally I would install a cord grip like comes on the new Scotty's. I also would switch out the shaft for a Nippon putter shaft, the head design has been executed very nicely, however I would rather it be overall muted with the finish.

RobotDoctor, I'll PM you for shipment on Monday.

RudeDog55

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 11:16:54 AM »
I received this putter last week from tourblade and have feel in love with the weight of the head. It has a great flow through the entire stoke. The sound slot has a nice feedback to my hands. I'm not overly crazy about the thickness of the grip or the shaft installed. I think the grip might be a little too small for my needs, but some other testers have liked it. Personally I would install a cord grip like comes on the new Scotty's. I also would switch out the shaft for a Nippon putter shaft, the head design has been executed very nicely, however I would rather it be overall muted with the finish.

RobotDoctor, I'll PM you for shipment on Monday.

I had the same issue with the grip, some guys (like us) just like a fatter feeling grip.

Thanx for the feedback

Z-MAN

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 11:00:48 AM »
Where is this one?

RobotDoctor

• Coffee drinking hacker
    • NewHorizonAuto
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 12:55:48 PM »
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 12:57:45 PM by RobotDoctor »
Byron Morgan B-17 Secrets Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DaKine Pear Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DH89x Long Pipe GSS
Byron Morgan SS DaKine 8812
Byron Morgan Designed by Captain Morgan, CU SS
TP Mills Tour Huey
TP Mills Heritage
and a few others

CameronKid66

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 01:47:20 PM »
Sam, thanks for the excellent review!

I concur, Byron's product is awesome and of the finest quality!

Hector

Z-MAN

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 02:19:43 PM »
Everyone who tested this has a shot at buying this putter.. PM me if your interested

Z-MAN

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 08:48:56 PM »
RobotDoctor  has won the right to buy #3

drewspin

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 08:58:14 PM »
Thanks to all testers and reviewers!!

Congratulations, RobotDoctor!