Author Topic: Mini DH89 Test Panel (Carbon/Plumbers Neck) - Sign Up Here  (Read 37880 times)

blkdiamond

Re: Mini DH89 Test Panel (Carbon/Plumbers Neck) - Sign Up Here
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2009, 11:35:19 AM »
I usually play a compact mallet putter. Standard blade putters feel like a door swinging closed which is not good for my SBST swing. How does the mini do in this department?
The Mini is more face-balanced than a standard blade.  Compared to my DH89 which hangs at approximately 5:00, the Mini hangs around 4:00.
Byron Morgan: Stainless Steel 006 - Stainless Steel 007
Scotty Cameron: Newport 2 Oval Track - Mil-Spec - PP Laguna - PP Catalina - Bulls Eye Platinum Flange
Ping: Stainless Anser 2 - Scottsdale Anser  -  Stainless B60
Wilson: "The 8802" Deep Face

omeletpants

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2009, 11:37:47 AM »
OK, but was it easier to square up the face without consciously rotating it on the mini?

blkdiamond

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2009, 11:54:49 AM »
OK, but was it easier to square up the face without consciously rotating it on the mini?

Short answer is yes.  IMO the Mini plays more like a face-balanced mallet than a standard blade.
Scotty Cameron: Newport 2 Oval Track - Mil-Spec - PP Laguna - PP Catalina - Bulls Eye Platinum Flange

nvgolfdude

• Born to golf. Forced to work.
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2009, 08:46:14 PM »

Or Josh, I will answer to pretty much anything.

DOH!  :-[  :(  Sorry about that...
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

blkdiamond

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2009, 09:17:15 PM »
Here are a few pics of the Mini next to my Copper Plated DH89.

varsityhacker

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2009, 08:48:44 AM »
Nice comparison pics, the mini really is mini looking next to your dh89 lol.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2009, 06:28:21 PM »
It's all in the eye of the beholder.  The Mini is 77% of face width of the DH89, and clearly that visual presents it a good bit smaller than the DH89.  When I look at the depth of the 2 putters comparatively I see how much deeper and thicker the Mini is than the DH89.  The pictures do make for an interesting comparison.  Nice work Josh!
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

TVan

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2009, 06:55:08 PM »

Short answer is yes.  IMO the Mini plays more like a face-balanced mallet than a standard blade.

You said the magic words....I want to try one of these....

nvgolfdude

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2009, 10:28:55 PM »
Updated list of participants and sequence...

blkdiamond - tried it, liked it...  ;D
excalibur - should be in posession of it now  8)
herbst20 - next up!  :w00t:
omletpants
pcirelli
varsityhacker
JMac13
heartgrad
jetlau3
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:48:50 AM by excalibur »
nvgolfdude@live.com

herbst20

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2009, 11:53:52 PM »
Hopefully it is here in Iowa by next Saturday October 10th so I can take it on the 11th to a TCC outing!
In the Bag
Callaway Epic Subzero 10 degree
Cobra F7 3-4 wood
Titleist 712 AP2   4-PW
Titlest Spin Milled 6  54-60
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 Pecans and Peaches  (Gamer)
Byron DH89
Byron 007 Spud
Byron Z Bomber
Scotty Cameron 2.6

omeletpants

« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2009, 08:48:03 PM »
I haven't even received it yet so sorry I doubt it will be in Iowa by next Saturday since I need some time to put it in play.

I'm after you two guys. Is there a problem with getting the previous holder to ship the putter to you?

nvgolfdude

« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2009, 11:38:20 PM »
The putter was stalled in a trunk.  With apologies to all from blkdiamond, the putter is now on its way to Utah.  8)
nvgolfdude@live.com

blkdiamond

« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2009, 11:51:53 AM »
My apologies to all.  I had packed the putter up and put it in my car last Sunday with the intention of shipping on Monday and I completely forgot about it (too many crazy days at work).  The putter shipped yesterday, thanks again.

omeletpants

« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2009, 01:18:25 PM »
It's a terrific program. Hopefully, some of us in bad climates will be able to try it outside before it's too cold. We are right on the edge weather-wise :)

herbst20

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2009, 10:03:33 AM »
Weather is not looking good for me to get much playing time with this baby.....Supposed to be in the 40s for a high this week.
In the Bag
Cobra F7 3-4 wood
Titleist 712 AP2   4-PW
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 
Byron DH89
Byron 007 Spud
Byron Z Bomber
Scotty Cameron 2.6

omeletpants

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2009, 01:36:30 PM »
Do we know the current status? Faced with the same weather isssue

nvgolfdude

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2009, 02:19:01 PM »
We have an issue with the tube.  The tube is being sent to me today to get repaired.  I won't know until I get it if it is user error or defective parts.  Anyway, we'll get it fixed up and sent back to excalibur pronto.  He in turn will get it on its way to herbst20.  My apologies for the delay.
nvgolfdude@live.com

omeletpants

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2009, 02:43:07 PM »
HI! Any updates on progress. 48* here and trying to squeeze a test drive before they shut down :)

nvgolfdude

« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2009, 06:28:29 PM »
Sorry for the lack of follow-up on this.  I've been under the weather most of the week.  Got the tube, and it seems to be user error.  ???  We are trying to figure out how to bullet proof the ends.  I'm going to have Matt send the putter on without the tube, and the tube will catch up to the next person.  Sorry again for these delays.
nvgolfdude@live.com

herbst20

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2009, 07:21:22 PM »
I hope so because the weather in Iowa is starting to get pretty shitty.    I would like to test this baby on the greens and not the carpet!    Hope you are feeling better Dave!
In the Bag
Cobra F7 3-4 wood
Titleist 712 AP2   4-PW
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 
Byron DH89
Byron 007 Spud
Byron Z Bomber
Scotty Cameron 2.6

nvgolfdude

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2009, 10:01:52 PM »
Thanks Scott.  I asked that the putter be sent to you without fanfare via Priority Mail.  I will get the tube to you seperately.
nvgolfdude@live.com

herbst20

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2009, 05:03:21 PM »
The putter has arrived in Iowa.   To bad it is raining extremely hard now and supposed to be for the next couple days.  I hope to get out sometime in the next week to demo it.  Dave do you want me to wait for the tube before shipping it out?
In the Bag
Cobra F7 3-4 wood
Titleist 712 AP2   4-PW
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 
Byron DH89
Byron 007 Spud
Byron Z Bomber
Scotty Cameron 2.6

nvgolfdude

« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2009, 11:41:20 PM »
The putter has arrived in Iowa.   To bad it is raining extremely hard now and supposed to be for the next couple days.  I hope to get out sometime in the next week to demo it.  Dave do you want me to wait for the tube before shipping it out?

Sorry for the crummy weather.   :(  Tube is on the way.  You should have it by Wednesday.
nvgolfdude@live.com

omeletpants

« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2009, 04:42:29 PM »

Looks like I'm next on the list. I'm in Chicago so I have the same weather issues. Please forward the putter as soon as possible. Thanks.

herbst20

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2009, 03:06:13 AM »

Looks like I'm next on the list. I'm in Chicago so I have the same weather issues. Please forward the putter as soon as possible. Thanks.

As soon as I get the tube, it will be sent on.  Could you send me your address in a PM?

Thanks,

Scott
In the Bag
Cobra F7 3-4 wood
Titleist 712 AP2   4-PW
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 
Byron DH89
Byron 007 Spud
Byron Z Bomber
Scotty Cameron 2.6

kylek

« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2009, 07:45:31 AM »

Scott- looking forward to hear what you think about this putter.  Hope you got some nice enough weather to give it a go.

Kyle

herbst20

« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2009, 07:47:23 AM »

Scott- looking forward to hear what you think about this putter.  Hope you got some nice enough weather to give it a go.

Kyle

Supposed to be 55 and sunny today.....I am just coming off 3rd shift so I am going to try to get out for a quick 18 today.   I will write a review either tonight or tomorrow.
In the Bag
Cobra F7 3-4 wood
Titleist 712 AP2   4-PW
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 
Byron DH89
Byron 007 Spud
Byron Z Bomber
Scotty Cameron 2.6

kylek

« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »

Kyle

Supposed to be 55 and sunny today.....I am just coming off 3rd shift so I am going to try to get out for a quick 18 today.   I will write a review either tonight or tomorrow.

I hope it stays sunny and 55 here for the next week or so... I got a putter coming that I want to test out ;)

herbst20

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2009, 05:47:16 PM »
Well, Just got back from the course with the Mini.

First off, the appearance of the putter is absolutely flawless.  I love the oil can finish and the yellow paintfill.   The stamping is awesome as well.  I am big fan of Stichback grips and this one was just as nice.

The feel of the putter is unlike any I have putted with before.  The ball came off the face very nicely even on mishits.  I tried hitting it off the toe and heel, but the mishits were minimized.  I had trouble with speed the first couple of putts on the putting green but was much better on the course.  I only used it for 9 holes because I got into a money game on the back 9 and wanted my Trusty Dalehead in the bag.   I finished the front 9 with 13 putts so I was rolling it very well. 

Overall I would rate this putter an 9.5 only because cosmetically it was not appealing to my eye thus the reason for the .5 off.  This could be that it was the first time I have ever putted with a Mini.  The feel is amazing and second to none.  I would definately recommend this putter to anyone who likes the looks of the mini head.

Very nice product guys, but it just isn't for me at this time.

Scott
In the Bag
Cobra F7 3-4 wood
Titleist 712 AP2   4-PW
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 
Byron DH89
Byron 007 Spud
Byron Z Bomber
Scotty Cameron 2.6

omeletpants

« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
Good review, now send it my way cause I'm next on the list  ;D Thanks

nvgolfdude

« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2009, 12:21:30 AM »
Scott, great review!  You should get the tube tomorrow or Thursday.  I emailed the shipping 411 a few minutes ago.  :)
nvgolfdude@live.com

excalibur

• Section Moderator
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2009, 04:26:30 AM »
My experience with the mini could be summed up in something like this:

Mini testor 30 dollars
Pulling it out of the bag and having your playing partners laugh a bit 0 dollars
Hitting two back to back 30 foot putts for birdie 2 dollars
Draining putts from all over the place and having your friends ask you if they can use your putter priceless  ;D

Yes, the mini is smaller than the regular DH89 but it does provide some interesting benefits.  First, after putting with the mini I actually felt I putted better with my carbon DH89.  Much more precise with my contact on the face.  Next, the mini does provide excellent distance control.  Perhaps this is due to the compact shape but I felt like mishits were better with the mini than with some other large faced putters.  The feel on the mini is a soft muted feel to me and it provides good feedback.  Besides the size there are some other differences the mini has from its bigger brother - the mini does not have a triplane sole (flat spot in the middle), the mini looks fatter to me from the top line due to its size and the cavity is more solid.  Some of these attributes effect the sound and feel but in a good way in my opinion.  Probably my favorite feature on this mini is the finish (I love the oilcan on it).  I liked the finish so much that once my black oxide finish wears off on my DH89 I'd love to change it to this exact finish.  It has a very rich look to it and didn't seem to be too reflective in the sun.  As far as the grip goes - the kangaroo stitchback is nice but it felt a bit too firm and slick for my tastes.  Overall I really liked the performance of the mini.  ;)    

nvgolfdude

« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2009, 10:05:51 AM »
Matt, thank you for the review.  It is well done and thoughtful.  Good job on using it to win a couple of bucks.  ;D
nvgolfdude@live.com

herbst20

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2009, 07:13:38 PM »
Putter tube is in hand and the putter will go out to Chicago tomorrow!
In the Bag
Cobra F7 3-4 wood
Titleist 712 AP2   4-PW
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 
Byron DH89
Byron 007 Spud
Byron Z Bomber
Scotty Cameron 2.6

nvgolfdude

« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2009, 08:05:12 PM »
How about that putter tube?  Sorry for the delay.  Something happened between test #1 and test #2.  ???
nvgolfdude@live.com

herbst20

« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2009, 08:27:59 PM »
It is in great condition, except for a bit of peel back on the bottom lid.  I put a bit of super glue on it so it would stick.
In the Bag
Cobra F7 3-4 wood
Titleist 712 AP2   4-PW
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 
Byron DH89
Byron 007 Spud
Byron Z Bomber
Scotty Cameron 2.6

omeletpants

« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2009, 03:32:36 PM »
Mini-Plumber's Neck Review:

Received the putter this morning and immediately took it to my putting green in the basement then next door to the course. Hit well over 100 putts from varying distances.

I'm usually a small mallet user (Odyssey 330) and have a SBST swing. Normal length blades feel like a door opening and closing to me and as a result, I tend to leave my putts to the right. With the Mini I immediately loved the weight and balance. Even with a 4pm toe hang I was able to get this to go SBST and stay on-line. This is the first blade putter I can say this.

It was an easy and comfortable transition for a mallet user. People say the blade is compact and it is, but measured against my 330 it was only 1/4" shorter. Putts were very solid and the whole face felt like a sweet spot. Putter sat very flat on the ground with no twisting on it's own. This putter lines up well on those 4-6' putts and no problems dialing it in. Feel was obviously harder than an insert putter with a noticeable click. I would probably prefer the stainless model. Fit and finish were perfect. At 6'4" (and cute as a button) I would prefer the putter lie angle about 2* more upright. This putter is going to make me think seriously about switching from my current one.

What I didn't like was the grip. The kangaroo leather felt hard and very slick. It just didn't sit right in my hand. Overall, big recommendation on this putter and I can ship to the next person tomorrow.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2009, 06:45:37 PM »

...Putts were very solid and the whole face felt like a sweet spot.

Thank you for the prompt review.  The above statement from your review caught my eye.  I had the same observation with the 30 or 40 putts that I took with that putter.

I'll email you tonight about where it goes next.  :)
nvgolfdude@live.com

pcirelli

« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2009, 05:30:38 PM »

...Putts were very solid and the whole face felt like a sweet spot.

Thank you for the prompt review.  The above statement from your review caught my eye.  I had the same observation with the 30 or 40 putts that I took with that putter.

I'll email you tonight about where it goes next.  :)

:)
Byron Morgan DH-89 Mixed Metals Long Neck
Byron Morgan "PMC" Bombora Long Pipe
Byron Morgan 611 CIRELLI sLaNt

nvgolfdude

« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2009, 11:11:43 PM »
Yes Pete, you are next.  ;D
nvgolfdude@live.com

omeletpants

« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2009, 11:13:39 PM »
Putter shipped this morning USPS Priority.

pcirelli

« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2009, 12:36:02 PM »
Putter received and man is she petite!

What's the headweight on this beauty...and,yes, I'm referring to the putter? I couldn't find it in the thread anywhere. Thanks!
-Pete

varsityhacker

« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2009, 03:15:12 PM »
I'm next right?

omeletpants

« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2009, 08:40:12 PM »

What's the headweight on this beauty...and,yes, I'm referring to the putter? I couldn't find it in the thread anywhere. Thanks!
-Pete
Notice how well balanced it is. I have never tried a blade putter that stayed so well on-line in both the back swing and forward swing. Post your thoughts after you demo.

pcirelli

« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2009, 09:36:05 PM »

-Pete
Notice how well balanced it is. I have never tried a blade putter that stayed so well on-line in both the back swing and forward swing. Post your thoughts after you demo.
I will post my thoughts for sure. Dying to know the headweight b/c it feels lighter than 350g to me.
-Pete

varsityhacker

« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2009, 08:26:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the putter is 350g, Dave would know for sure. 

pcirelli

« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2009, 08:02:14 PM »
Hola! I'm going to try and make this short and sweet.   ;D

My first impression when I took this putter out of the putter tube is where's the rest of it! I didn't imagine that the putter head would appear so small. Also, Byron nailed the Oil Can finish...again. Unreal, gorgeous, stunning, etc, etc. The paintfill looks great on it as well. Love yellow on the OC finish.

Carpet putting left me thinking this putter was lighter than 350g, which she isn't. I have no idea why I felt that way, but maybe it was the size of the putter that made it translate that way to my brain. Initial thoughts were the putter was solid, but not as much feedback as a DH-89 or some other similar type putters. Probably due to the thick topline, which looks great at address.

I was out of town for work, so I didn't get a chance to game her during a round, but I did get her to the course. The putter isn't flat enough for me, wrong grip, slow greens, and first time outside, BUT I made 4 putts of at least 20 feet. Every putt I hit was deadly accurate. I was shocked by the accuracy of my putts. Obviously the speed wasn't there on every putt, but man was this putter solid. Once again, she had a little less feedback than preferred, but overall a fantastic putter.

The grip is nice, but not my cup of tea. I love the snap fit headcover, but prefer a different color.

Needless to say, I feel this is a great putter. It does take a little while to get used the size of the head, but it's as nice a putter that I've ever rolled. Good thing I have my Copper Mini ordered!~
-Pete

nvgolfdude

« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2009, 08:59:08 PM »
Thanks for the great review Pete (applause!).  I know what you mean about the lie angle.  My putters are all 67*.  Too bad you didn't get more of a chance to take her on the course.
nvgolfdude@live.com

varsityhacker

« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2009, 08:18:02 AM »
I assume the putter is headed to GA now.  I can't wait to see this putter and roll some putts with it, I have been holding off a putter purchase until I tested the mini out.

pcirelli

« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2009, 05:21:16 PM »
I assume the putter is headed to GA now.  I can't wait to see this putter and roll some putts with it, I have been holding off a putter purchase until I tested the mini out.
Nope...I'm keeping her!!!  :w00t:
-Pete

(Just kidding. The putter went in the mail today.)