Author Topic: Mini DH89 Test Panel (Carbon/Plumbers Neck) - Sign Up Here  (Read 37639 times)

varsityhacker

Re: Mini DH89 Test Panel (Carbon/Plumbers Neck) - Sign Up Here
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2009, 11:54:12 AM »

varsityhacker

« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2009, 10:10:18 AM »
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:13:37 AM by varsityhacker »

nvgolfdude

• Born to golf. Forced to work.
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2009, 12:22:31 PM »
Yarome, thank you for the tremendous and thorough review.  I am almost as excited as you are for you to get your solid copper Mini.
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

varsityhacker

« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2009, 02:12:38 PM »
Yarome, thank you for the tremendous and thorough review.  I am almost as excited as you are for you to get your solid copper Mini.

Me too! Now if I could only figure out what I want stamped on the putter I would be all set. 

varsityhacker

« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2009, 08:17:18 AM »
Mini shipped to Bama yesterday.

outgolfing

« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2009, 05:22:44 PM »
Great review varsityhacker.  Reading this makes very anxious to get my all copper mini as well.  Was hoping around Christmas but I guess its looking more like the new year. 
Putters:
Cameron- Del Mar California
Ping - Zing (70's model)

JCL

« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2009, 05:47:07 PM »
Excellent review!  Now I can't wait for my copper mini to arrive.

John

drewspin

« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2009, 07:27:16 PM »
Great review varsityhacker!  - That's what the test and review program is all about!

JMac13

« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2009, 10:53:16 PM »
Mini has been in sweet home alabama for a couple of days. Unfortunately, the weather is terrible right now. We actually got about 3/4" of snow Saturday morning  :o. I hope to at least get it on the putting green before the end of the week. Have spent about a half hour carpet putting with it and my wifes C&L.

Disclaimer on the review so far... I am a lefty, but I have spent some time putting righty. 

Looks: The Mini really suits my eye as far as a plumbers neck goes. I prefer the shorter length look vs. the "standard" length from heel to toe.  I also am surprised that the thicker top line looks better to me. "Stubby" fits the discription better although I know that is used by Never Compromise. Also, the color of the oil can finish is really nice and rich.

Grip/Headcover: This is the first I have felt a "Roo Stitchback" and I will probably have to get one for my CI-18. Great feel...soft yet responsive, not mushy. Color goes well with the oc finish.  Also, have to say the snap fit headcover is top notch. A lot better design than the velcro closure.

Feel: It's wierd, hard to compare to lefty putting as far as feel is concerned, so I got my wifes C&L oil can.  The fist thing I notice is that the mini feels softer than the C&L, but not a ton of difference. I assume the deeper milling of the C&L mutes the feel more than the mini's fine milling, but the thickness of the mini contributes to the softness. As far as weighting, the mini actually feels a little heavier than the C&L, but I am sure they are both in 350 range. On off center hits, I really get more feedback off the mini, yet distance does not seem to be lost too much.

Skip to end: I am really impressed with the mini and would add one to my collection if a lefty version was available. The craftsmanship is exactly what I would expect from Byron and is well put together from grip choice to headcover.  As far as who this putter will appeal to...I think any experienced golfer (10 hcp and lower) that is not necessarily an "anser" style purist would possibly enjoy this flatstick. I just don't feel this would be right for a higher hcp, because there is a difference in feel on off center hits. As far as the "anser purist" comment, the shorter, and thicker look may be too much. I like the look personally, as I have never cared as much for the standard ansers.

Again, this is just a quick review from a lefty, carpet putting. I hope to get it on real greens later in the week. BTW, ROLL TIDE ROLL!
☮ ♥ & Calif☠rnia Flatsticks

Byron Morgan DaKine Radz
Byron Morgan CI-18 Proto
Byron Morgan DaKine-18
Byron Morgan GS DH-89 First off
Byron Morgan Mixed Metal Stubby DH-89

varsityhacker

« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2009, 08:40:53 AM »
JMac13 as a UGA grad it was great to see Bama kick the crap out of the Gaytors! Tebow crying at the end of the game priceless. 

JMac13

« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »
Putter is on its way to San Diego. I'm guessing the cold, wet weather will stay in Alabama. :laugh:
☮ ♥ & Calif☠rnia Flatsticks

Byron Morgan DaKine Radz
Byron Morgan CI-18 Proto
Byron Morgan DaKine-18
Byron Morgan GS DH-89 First off
Byron Morgan Mixed Metal Stubby DH-89

Heartgrad

« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2010, 11:22:19 PM »
JMac and the gang,
Putter made it to sunny S.D.  I finally got my hands on it after a bit of a snafu with my mail guy.  He dropped off the notice on the 31st which meant that, due to the weekend and holiday, I couldn't pick it up until Monday the 4th.  Finally got to the post office this afternoon and picked up the Mini. 

First impressions are - Putter looks great.  It's small, and noticably so, but something about it makes it seem less small.  Like, a baby rhino is a baby and, therefore, cute, but it's still a rhino and as a baby probably weighs 400lbs and could truck you if it wanted to.  That's the feeling I got looking at it.  It looked small, but I took it seriously.  It felt a little dangerous in my hands.  The other thought that comes to mind is Gilbert Arenas with a gold-plated gun.  Gold-plated, but still heat.  Oil can still looks great after being passed around for a little while now.  I really like the yellow paintfill on the oil can finish.  The color combo looks great.  The grip seems pretty slick.  I've never had a Gripmaster before and was really curious to see how it felt after being passed around for a few months.  The first real OEM putter I had was an Odyssey Rossie II mallet that had a leather wrap on it and I, must say, that grip lasted forever.  It also seemed to get tackier as it was used.  If I went to the putting green with it and my hands got warm or a little sweaty, the grip actually seemed to be more grabby.  I'm hoping that's the case with the GM stitchback, because I really like the look and want to like the grip.  Hope that all makes sense. 

I plan on trying to get some practice time with it at Torrey either tomorrow or Thursday and will post a review after that.  I may also play Torrey this weekend, so if I do, I'll post a review after that, as well.

-Ben
WITB
Old School Cleveland Launcher 9.5*
Titleist 585H 17*
Hogan Apex Edge Pros 3-9 (but I'm looking)
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal 47*
Vokey SM 54*
Cleveland 588 60*
Byron Morgan A.S.S. 007 - Smileys Style

nvgolfdude

« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2010, 12:15:12 PM »
Ben, ready for that review?
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

Heartgrad

« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2010, 02:41:32 PM »
Hey Guys, sorry about the delay.  It's been a crazy few weeks for me with work.  Turns out, keeping a biotech startup going in the worst economic recession of the past 80 years is, well, heavy lifting at times.

As a result, I did not get a round in like I had planned in the last two weekends, which is the reason for my delay in posting a review.  I was able to make it to the practice green a few times but had wanted to share a post-round review before wrapping this testing session up.  In this, I must admit, I have failed miserably.  Handled about as well as Mark, Sammy and Raffy before congress. 

For those that don't want the editorial, here are the take homes:

Great - The putter, as I mentioned before, is little but still means business.  I, like others before, was really struck by how small the putter head was, but never felt a lack of confidence in my putting as a result of the smaller head size.  The finish is beautiful.  The triple oil looks good with a few blemishes now after being passed around a bunch, but looks appropriately gamed, something I like a lot.  I prefer a putter to have some patina and look like it's been used.  No wall hangers at my house.  The putter puts a great roll on the ball.  All others have mentioned how consistent the distance was on off center hits and I must agree.  Heel and toe misses were felt but the distance and line were really close to flush strokes.  Byron's carbon is second-to-none.  Smooth.

Less Than Great - The stitchback is too slick for me.  I really was hoping that it would have that good tacky leather feel but it was really slick.  This was a problem for me as I was squeezing too tight and missing lines.  This was my one chief complaint and is easily remedied.  The other thing I noticed was a bit of a muted feel.  I'm sure that this is due to the thickness of the face and topline and I think that a 340g version where some of the weight is taken out there, would do a lot for this putter.  You'd still get great feel, have a fairly heavy head and a little more feedback.

My little editorial...This is why I love Byrons more than ever before.  After getting the mini89 and putting with it for about an hour I went back to my SS 007, a putter I call Smiley Style.  At first it looked like I was trying to putt with some sort of prop from a clown's golf bag.  The thing looked absolutely huge after putting with the mini.  I picked up my Cameron Circa 3 (Charcoal Mist version, probably the worst feeling putter ever produced) and it looked a little better.  A bit of Goldilocks syndrome.  I did this switching thing a few more times and got more comfortable with the look of both.  I went back to the putting green 3 times with the tester putter and did a bunch of carpet putting on my garage set-up.  At the end of the day, I was really looking for something a little bit shorter than my 007 but bigger than the mini89.  I may have come across something that I'd like to pick up next month.  I kept picking up the Scotty Circa 3 and the head size was right, but putter is a piece of crap in my opinion.  It's just all wrong outside of the looks.  Feels bad, sweet spot is off, sweet spot is tiny, has a hotspot or two.  It's awful.  I only keep it to try grips and paintfills.  It could never compete with either of the Byrons I had next to it.  At the end of all this testing I kept noticing how awesome my 007 felt.  I also noticed how accurate it was.  The roll seemed better than ever.  It was like walking in the proverbial "greener grass on the other side" and then hopping the fence back to your own yard and realizing how kick-ass your lawn really was.  Really is.  At the end of the day, I ended up loving my 007 more than anything I've ever rolled.  I actually like it more than any club I've ever owned and it's not even a contest at this point.  I definitely want to try a carbon Byron to see how I might like the softer feel, but it's going to be next to impossible to kick Smiley Style out of the bag.   

Thanks a lot to Dave for taking care of all the logistics on these test putters.  I hope to do this again sometime soon in 2010 and whoever gets this putter will be happy with it. 

Cheers,
Ben - Putterhead #262
WITB
Old School Cleveland Launcher 9.5*
Titleist 585H 17*
Hogan Apex Edge Pros 3-9 (but I'm looking)
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal 47*
Vokey SM 54*
Cleveland 588 60*
Byron Morgan A.S.S. 007 - Smileys Style

varsityhacker

« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2010, 08:32:14 AM »
Great review, agree with you on so many points especially about the grip.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2010, 06:42:51 PM »
Great review Ben.  If tacky is what you want, I recommend the GripMaster tour wrap.  It is the only grip that I have on my gamers.
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2010, 06:49:35 PM »
The putter is back home in Reno, and I'd like to have the drawing.  I need to hear from a couple of testers, and hopefully omletpants (Bob) will get a review posted for us.  It looks like list for the drawing is:

blkdiamond
excalibur
herbst20
omletpants?
pcirelli
varsityhacker
nvgolfdude@live.com

varsityhacker

« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2010, 08:32:27 PM »
The putter is back home in Reno, and I'd like to have the drawing.  I need to hear from a couple of testers, and hopefully omletpants (Bob) will get a review posted for us.  It looks like list for the drawing is:

blkdiamond
excalibur
herbst20
omletpants?
pcirelli
varsityhacker

Have Dave let me know when you want to do the drawing I have a great random number generator you could use, just need to know what number I am ;)

nvgolfdude

« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2010, 02:09:36 AM »
Update, here are the entrants for the drawing on this putter:

blkdiamond
excalibur
herbst20
pcirelli
varsityhacker

Drawing later this week.  Someone is going to be very happy.  :)
nvgolfdude@live.com

burch6

« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2010, 04:53:23 PM »
Please put me on the list, i live in AZ and its awsome golf weather these days. I need a new toy to try!

kylek

« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2010, 04:54:05 PM »
Please put me on the list, i live in AZ and its awsome golf weather these days. I need a new toy to try!

This test is already over.  Be ready there will be some more this year.

blkdiamond

« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2010, 05:07:01 PM »
Any update on who won the drawing?
Byron Morgan: Stainless Steel 006 - Stainless Steel 007
Scotty Cameron: Newport 2 Oval Track - Mil-Spec - PP Laguna - PP Catalina - Bulls Eye Platinum Flange
Ping: Stainless Anser 2 - Scottsdale Anser  -  Stainless B60
Wilson: "The 8802" Deep Face

nvgolfdude

« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2010, 06:26:58 PM »
Any update on who won the drawing?

No, I have neglected this.  Thanks for the reminder.  I will do this in a couple of minutes.
nvgolfdude@live.com

herbst20

« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2010, 11:17:23 PM »
Define a couple minutes!!!!!!
In the Bag
Callaway Epic Subzero 10 degree
Cobra F7 3-4 wood
Titleist 712 AP2   4-PW
Titlest Spin Milled 6  54-60
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 Pecans and Peaches  (Gamer)
Byron DH89
Byron 007 Spud
Byron Z Bomber
Scotty Cameron 2.6

nvgolfdude

« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2010, 11:52:23 PM »
Define a couple minutes!!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: I got drafted to make dinner and clean the kitchen...  I'm on it right now though. - Dave
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2010, 11:58:27 PM »
First, I used the List Randomizer at Random.org to sequence the list of interested testers.  The results are:

1.  varsityhacker
2.  excalibur
3.  herbst20
4.  pcirelli
5.  blkdiamond

Timestamp: 2010-02-01 04:57:08 UTC
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2010, 12:04:53 AM »
The numbers 1 through 5 were used to generate a random sequence, and here is the outcome:

Timestamp: 2010-02-01 05:01:50 UTC

Making the order in which these 5 testers have the opportunity to buy the tester for 1/2 price the following:

2 - excalibur
3 - herbst20
1 - varsityhacker
4 - pcirelli
5 - blkdiamond

nvgolfdude@live.com

herbst20

« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2010, 06:12:26 PM »
Did Excalibur buy the putter?
In the Bag
Callaway Epic Subzero 10 degree
Cobra F7 3-4 wood
Titleist 712 AP2   4-PW
Titlest Spin Milled 6  54-60
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 Pecans and Peaches  (Gamer)
Byron DH89
Byron 007 Spud
Byron Z Bomber
Scotty Cameron 2.6

nvgolfdude

« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2010, 09:17:07 PM »
Did Excalibur buy the putter?

I think that he is going too.  I need to call him to check in.  Maybe you can dissuade him from getting it leaving it all for you!! 8)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 04:29:15 PM by nvgolfdude »
nvgolfdude@live.com