Author Topic: DH89 Carbon Head - Test Panel #1 Reviews  (Read 23572 times)

bicoastal

Re: DH89 Carbon Head - Test Panel #1 Reviews
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »
OK, everyone feel free to PM and email Morgan Mann (1-OFF-GOLF) to post his review...  ;D

This putter is on it's way to Joe Bannister now.
Any review of this one other than appearance would be lying on my part. Do to my glorious work schedule, Dad and LaMont got to roll it, I never had the chance. Thanks for the opportunity though guys, I loved the Stainless demo.

Morgan

txcm

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2009, 08:12:32 PM »
My first impression when I opened the putter tube was Wow! This putter is first class all the way.
  The craftsmanship is top notch, the lines of the putter from toe to heel and topline to bumpers flow clean and beautiful.
  The stamps are well spaced and aligned and mushroom out along the the edges of the letters just enough.
  My gamer is a 009 oilcan beach and I can say that the DH89 is every bit as solid and for a quarter of the price. The top lines on both putters are are flat (which appeals to me). The shoulders are straight across not at an angle (like a regular Cameron Newport) And the bumpers are nicely rounded which gives the DH89 a great flow. At address the DH89 and 009 heads set up very similarly the difference being that the bumpers on the 009 are slightly more rounded. On the greens the DH89 handles like a dream! This putter was not set up to my specs. 
           009                       DH89
  ______________       ______________
     loft-5*                          3*   
     lie - 69                          70*
     length- 35.25                 34in.
     wt.-337g.                      350

However I was dropping putts from everywhere with this buttery stick. The DH89 is very well balanced. Putts that I intentionally hit off of the toe and heel seem to track with little if any distance loss. I would have to say that the Byron was just as soft as the 009 with a slightly lower pitch "tink" at impact that confirms you just rolled one in dead solid!
  The grip was a nice touch. I have never putted with a leather Gripmaster and I don't know how it would age but it is still a Classy touch.(I normally use a Studio Desgin or smooth Ping man).
 All in all, there seems to have been a lot of thought, time, detail and effort put into crafting these putters and you can tell. If you choose to purchase a DH89 you WILL NOT be disappointed as this putter is DEAD SOLID!

nvgolfdude

• Born to golf. Forced to work.
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2009, 12:45:13 AM »
Chris, great review!  Thank you so much...  ;D
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

golfer4life

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2009, 03:52:13 PM »
Very nice reviews guys, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Hector

TxGolfer

• E-3 Sentry AWACS---------Cougar
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2009, 11:22:13 PM »
Sorry for the delay.....

The box the putter came in is awesome, my friends were drooling over it.  Two thumbs up on that!!

A little background:
I have been putting with BM putters with a site-dot (I have two of them, both 007's).  Then I had the opportunity to buy a Twisty 006 with a site line (Pics on all three later).  Strangely enough, I putt better with the site-line.  The Twisty is out of this world.  Having said that, I was very anxious to get my hands on this putter and "try" a different putter with a site-line and slightly less weight.  My Twisty weighs 365g vs this one at 350g.

I have putted with an anser style head for a long long time and I have always preferred the Anser style vs Anser 2.  This is probably why when I decided to change to Byron Morgan (Best decision in golf I have ever made), I ordered the 007 style (close to anser style), I just preferred the look of that style of that type of putter.  And at the time, thought I wanted to change to a site-dot vs site-line.

The Putter:
Absolutely B E A utiful at address.  It sits wells, looks very clean and promotes a great deal of confidence.  It seems to just feel right at home behind the ball, sits perfectly square and frames it very very well!!
I love this finish, I have it on two other putters and it holds up very very well, very little maintenance.  I also like the clean look.  No crazy stampings and no outrageous paint, just clean and simple and the stamps it does have looks look great.

Grip:  The grip is great, although I prefer the grip on my Twisty (Steve will have to tell you what that is (I don't know the name).

Feel:  Nothing better.  I know feel is a personal attribute, but this feels so soft and yet so crisp when you hit the ball.  I guess the best word to define the feel of this putter is confidence.

Weight:  I honestly thought the weight would be the biggest deal for me.  I had been putting with my 365g putter and my distance control has never been better, it just felt perfect at 365.  Remember I said confidence??  My distance control with this putter was awesome.  Fist putt was about 10 feet for par....drano.  Second putt was about 8ft for bogey....nothing but cup!!  And so on and so on.  All day, this putter performed and inspired more and more confidence after each hole.

My only disappointment was I had to send this putter off to someone else.  I would have been happy to write a check and just keep it.  Probably why I will be ordering one soon.

Mr Morgan....this putter is truly a work of art, as is all your putters.  If any of you out there are still debating to buy a Byron Morgan putter,  I promise you will not be disappointed.

Best Wishes to all and Happy Golfing.

Glen

TxGolfer

• E-3 Sentry AWACS---------Cougar
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2009, 11:24:06 PM »
The "other" putters:

nvgolfdude

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2009, 01:23:34 PM »
Glen, thank you for your very well written review!  ;D
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

excalibur

• Section Moderator
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2009, 01:49:02 PM »
OK - given the past reviews there isn't really much more that I can add than perhaps a few pictures but here are a few opinions.

First the tube - pretty fun and definitely over the top but in a good way.  My wife saw it and said you could ship a ballistic missile in that tube and it wouldn't get hurt.

The putter is very nice with excellent milling and the shape is outstanding.  I really like the flat top line along with the other softer features (back bumpers, neck etc.).  This makes a nice combination of soft and sharp lines in my opinion.  It makes the putter very easy to line up.  Another feature I really like is the triplane sole.  I like being able to set the putter on the ground in the middle area and feel that it grounded and ready to go.  Kind of like getting set up at the shooting range with a rifle.  

Performance wise it is an excellent putter.  It has a nice soft feel with good distance control.  The test putter is not set up exactly how I like, but it is close enough that I didn't have much of a problem hitting putts.  It is well balanced and provides good feedback.  I love the black oxide finish and it looks great on this putter.  

The grip was also better than I remember.  I've owned a few Gripmasters in the past but liked this version better (I don't know if it is that different or perhaps I'm getting old and don't remember as much about the ones I used previously).  I prefer the black pingman grip and have been using the new golf pride tour tradition this year too.  The Gripmaster is nice though and using this one made me want to try another, perhaps the kangaroo stitchback would be good.

Overall this is a very nice putter.  The DH89 shape is great and the craftsmanship that went into the putter is exceptional.  For reference purposes attached are some pictures comparing top lines of some putters (test putter v. an original Byron Dale head, a black oxide Cameron mil-spec - you can really see the difference in a rounded top line and a flat line and a custom DH89 that has a welded sight dot).  On a side note, for those of you that get distracted by alignment aides a welded dot is very nice because it is not distracting while providing some alignment help.    
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 01:51:32 PM by newportbeach »

nvgolfdude

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2009, 02:07:13 PM »
Nice review Matt, and thank you for the comparative pictures...  ;D
nvgolfdude@live.com

lohrm1

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2009, 11:26:46 AM »
What can you say about a fabulous putter that hasn't already been said?  I had the pleasure of using the putter for a week or so, and to do a direct comparison to my double torched SS DH-89.

I was a little nervous when i got the putter, as I was afraid I was going to like it better than my DH-89, but I'm happy to say that it wasn't the case. Make no mistake, the putter is phenomenal, but I just preferred the dot instead of the line on mine, and the overall feel of my putter.  

I still can't get over the quality of the milling of all of Byron's putters.  i have owned a variety of Cameron's and Bettinardi's and while they're nice putters, the quality of the workmanship of Byron's putters is incomparable in my opinion.  The shape and the edges of the putter are so finely detailed you have to look closely to see the  mill marks, and even then they're so perfect and consistent it's hard to understand how Byron does it.  And the finish of the putter was equally exceptional.  The black oxide has a unique depth to it that you don't see in other putters.  I hadn't tried the stitchback grip before, and although I liked it, I still prefer the Pingman on my putter, but old habits die hard.  If you're looking for a leather grip though, this is the one to use.  It's just tacky enough and the size is great.  I have smaller hands though, so it might feel a bit small to some depending on your preferences.

So how did the two putters compare?  I'm not sure how fair the comparison is as I had the Nippon shaft installed on mine, and the test putter had the standard stepped shaft.  As a result, the test putter felt a bit head heavier, and did not have the same overall balance as mine.  In fact, I like the balance better with the stepped shaft and have sent mine back to Byron to have it reshafted.  As an aside, don't try to reshaft the putter yourself unless you have a shaft puller.  With the type of epoxy Byron uses and the tight fit on the shaft, it's impossible to pull it without additional mechanical help.  You could clearly tell the difference between the stainless steel and the carbon, although the difference was less than i thought it might be.  I don't know if that's due to the double torching that was done to mine, or if there just isn't that big a difference.  If I had to choose one type of feel over the other, I might prefer the carbon, but it was so close, the lack of maintenance necessary with the stainless would make it an easy decision.  (or you could just buy both!)

I do have to mention the shipping tube also.  It's unbelievable.  I believe you could drop it off a tall building and not damage the putter and the graphics are awesome.

So in summary, easily the best putters I've ever used.  I played in a tournament last weekend and not only didn't three putt once, but made one 55' putt and another from close to 40'.  I've never been able to do that with another putter, and believe me I've tried a lot of them.  If you're in the market for an Anser style putter (or in my case I've always loved the design of the Scotty 009's but refused to pay the price...)  don't walk, run to your computer to order a Byron DH-89.  They're that good.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2009, 12:20:45 PM »
Jeff, great review!  Thank you for your insight and the comparison.  Now, we need to get you a Mini...  ;D
nvgolfdude@live.com

lohrm1

« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2009, 12:38:51 PM »
But I've already got a Mini... :P

nvgolfdude

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2009, 12:48:06 PM »
But I've already got a Mini... :P

Yeah, but how many putts have you made with it?  :poke:
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2009, 02:04:40 AM »
This test putter is about to conclude its journey through the hands of 12 testers and 7 states.  Apprenti23 is sending it out tomorrow to the last tester on the list, noodle3872.  In a couple of weeks it should be back in Huntington Beach for a tune up, and be ready for the drawing to see who gets first shot a purchasing this putter for 1/2 price.  :w00t: 

But first, there are a couple of reviews to go.  Kyle, we're waiting...  ;)  :popcorn:
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2009, 12:42:12 AM »
Well, the last member of this test panel has had to withdraw at the last minute.  Is there anyone who would like to step in and be the final tester?  If interested, please email me at david@byronputters.com.
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2009, 05:59:06 PM »
Replacement tester found!  ;D

cunham32 - Welcome Jeff!
nvgolfdude@live.com

apprenti23

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2009, 07:50:47 AM »

nvgolfdude

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2009, 10:25:27 AM »
Another entertaining, enlightening, insightful review from Kyle.  He must have been an English major...  8)
nvgolfdude@live.com

apprenti23

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2009, 11:13:43 AM »
haha thanks dave!

not an english major... would have been a heck of an "event coordinator major" b/c all i did was party when i was in college! got booted and never finished! heck i might even still be banned from campus!

glad you enjoyed the review!

cunham32

• looks good on you, though.
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2009, 04:35:22 PM »
It was a beautiful Missouri morning to head to the course and test the Byron DH-89 carbon putter.  It arrived Saturday and I was truly impressed with the container in which it arrived.  I thought for sure it was going to make some sort of ssssssssssss sound when I opened it and air would escape a sealed cryogenic chamber. 
First impression, it is a beautiful putter.  I really like the black oxide finish.  It has great lines and the red and white compliment the black.  The Gripmaster stitched back grip was nice looking as well, with red stitching.
I had a 7:20 tee time this morning with my regular twice weekly golfing buddy who has to endure 18 holes of me trying to get him as addicted to putters as me. 
I won't give you a blow by blow but here is a comparison of my last two rounds.  Thursday, I played with my regular gamer.  11 greens hit, 31 total putts, 5 one-putts and 13 2-putts.  Today, 11 greens hit, 36 total putts, 3 one-putts, 13 2-putts, a 3-putt and a 4-banger!  Ouch.  Obviously, I don't blame the putter for my poorer performance.  I do give myself some leeway in trying out a new putter and a ridiculous pin placement on hole 4, ironically the site of my 4 putt.  My usual gamer is more upright than this putter, which is what I prefer, but the ball feels just as soft coming off the DH-89. I pretty much only game carbon putters.
In the end, what can I say that hasn't already been posted in earlier reviews?  It's a great putter.  A DH-89 is now definitely on my short list of putters to acquire.  I can say this, too.  While the 009 is a great looking stick, I would much rather get a DH-89 and will. 
Thanks to Dave for letting me take it for a test drive! 
Jeff (cunham32)

apprenti23

« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2009, 06:55:43 PM »
oh why did you have to go and post pics of the putter!

i miss that thing!

where do you play at in Misery? I shipped it to ya but never looked up the exact address anywhere near st louie?

cunham32

• looks good on you, though.
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2009, 09:40:57 PM »
Yep, just down the road in Cape Girardeau.  Specifically, Jackson which is across I-55 from Cape.  Played at a course called Bent Creek. 

nvgolfdude

« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2009, 11:42:18 PM »
Great review Jeff!  I'm glad that you enjoyed the experience.
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2009, 12:21:21 AM »
Okay, test putter #1 has returned to me.  It is in excellent condition!!  Everyone did a fantastic job of looking after the putter.  Next, the putter will travel with me to Dublin, Ireland to visit with curryj and benjatt.  :w00t:  After I return Labor Day weekend, I will set up the drawing for who gets the chance to purchase this putter as is for half price...

The testers who asked to be entered to win are:
Yoshiod9
Hungsolo
Banistr
MHLY01
TXCM
TxGolfer
newportbeach
apprenti23
cunham32

Stay tuned and good luck fellas...  ;D
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2009, 08:08:15 PM »
OK, so here we go...

The testers who asked to have a the chance to purchase the test putter for 1/2 price and their assigned numbers:

1  Yoshiod9
2  Hungsolo
3  Banistr
4  MHLY01
5  TXCM
6  TxGolfer
7  newportbeach
8  apprenti23
9  cunham32

Using the random number generator (sequence generator) found at Random.org here are the results:

Timestamp: 2009-09-10 23:56:17 UTC

This means that apprenti23 (Kyle) has the first opportunity to purchase the test putter for $265.00.  If Kyle does not want to make the purchase, in order it will be offered to yoshiod9, cunham32, newportbeach, banistr, TXGolfer, MHLY01, TXCM, and Hungsolo...

Congratulations Kyle!
nvgolfdude@live.com

apprenti23

« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2009, 08:34:23 PM »
sorry people...

i'm buyin this bad boy!

yoshiod9

« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2009, 11:25:43 AM »
DAMN!  haha.  good luck with her, man! 
Daniel

nvgolfdude

« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2009, 07:01:11 PM »
The putter is on its way to Byron.  He's going to strip it down and make it raw, polish it up a bit, redo the paint fill, tweak the loft and lie, put a new grip on it, put a new snap fit Captain Morgan head cover on it, and ship it off to Kyle in Chicago.  I know Jimmy is going to love it!  :laugh:
nvgolfdude@live.com

apprenti23

« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2009, 07:20:51 PM »
haha!

sounds incredible! can't wait for the man to do some magic!

apprenti23