Author Topic: DIY indoor putting and chipping green build  (Read 232 times)

drewspin

DIY indoor putting and chipping green build
« on: March 13, 2019, 01:46:08 PM »
New home office, new DIY putting green.  Here's the build process:

Step 1 - I had a bunch of left 1/2" cork underlayment from the office flooring project.  This was bought from lumber liquidators.  The tiles are approximately (slightly smaller than) 2' x 3'.

I laid them out to visualize the size of the green, which in my case was 8' x 15' and I decided on a pattern for the tiles:

drewspin

Re: DIY indoor putting and chipping green build
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 01:53:19 PM »
Step 2: Although it is probably unlike the cork would move around, I wanted to be sure it was secure, so I taped the seams using wide Gorilla tape. Not perfect, but does not need to be.

drewspin

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 02:02:37 PM »
Step 3: I did not want to have a tall raised platform for putting, and I wanted the green to be able to receive short chips shots realistically.  This required an absorbent underlay for the turf.  The solution is 4' x 6' 3/4" stall mats from Tractor Supply.  The mats are in expensive, and very heavy.  For my build, I needed 5 of them (one would be cut in half).

I brought them in and let them acclimate on the cork overnight.

drewspin

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 02:04:46 PM »
Step 4: I cut the 1 stall mat in half using a utility knife with a new blade and a straight edge.  Using the cut edges on the outsides, I aligned the mats into a final configuration.  The edges of the mats are laser-cut and fit together nicely, but there are very slight gaps that remain, at the seams especially where the corners meet. Probably overkill, but I decided to fill those gaps and cracks with 100% silicone caulk.  I used the black kind made by GE.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 02:11:20 PM by drewspin »

drewspin

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 02:20:15 PM »
Step 5:  I spread out the caulk across the seams using the edge of a block of wood wrapped in a paper towel.  This seemed to work well, though a bit messy.  The silicone caulk has a 24 hour cure time.

johnny5

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 07:33:45 AM »
Looks very nice. Hoping to move this summer. The third garage bay is a single that will hopefully be just for my hobbies and an indoor green or bay, The neighborhood does have an outdoor chipping and putting green that is really nice but requires a car ride and not sure it's lit at night.

mc_cap

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 01:50:22 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the finished green. Please post final pics.
Mike

Mr. Doug

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 08:28:41 AM »
YEARS ago, I got a deal on a 12'X36' roll of really high-end putting surface. I chopped it up into sections and gave it all away to friends. I've been looking for the same thing again, and I can't find anything remotely close. I think I spent $300 of the last roll shipped.

Chalk it up to things that I "used to have"

Can't wait to see your finished green!
::: currently fixing all the things that have been bugging me for years :::

drewspin

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 06:16:32 PM »
Step 6: Cut the holes.  I am making this a training green, so I opted to go for 3" holes instead of the standard 4.25".

For this, I used a 3" hole saw.  To optimize my chances of cutting straight vertical holes, I first made a template by cutting a clean hole in a piece of 1/2" plywood that I could stand on.  Do not skip this step.  Took me a couple tries to get a nice clean hole in the template board.  By having a stable clean template the hole saw will not move around very much.

Then standing on the sides of the template board, I located and cut four holes through both layers of the subsurface of the green.

I placed the hole saw in the template and cut down through the rubber and until I hit the cork underlayment.  The rubber cut very smooth with the hole saw.  I stopped before I had cut very far into the cork, and then used a utility knife to remove the remaining cork.

Not perfect holes but the edges are very clean and good enough to train on.

I may later regret not cutting one more hole, but I want to chip through the middle section without a hole in the way.  Time will tell if I put them in the best spots.  I made sure they would all work for both righty and lefty golfers.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 06:19:24 PM by drewspin »

drewspin

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 06:28:11 PM »
Step 7:  Choosing the green surface.  For the surface of the green I was much more concerned with finding something that would roll well and perform well for training, and less with having a "green" putting green look. 

After some internet sleuthing and asking around, I chose to go with the Camry trunk liner fabric that several touring pros use for their home greens.  [Google Ben Crane Camry putting for giggles].  There is a seller Camry Golf Greens who also sells through eBay, which is where I sourced the fabric. 

The fabric comes in 54" widths as long as you want... so I knew I was going to have to deal with one long seam.

The fabric shipped quick and I chose the light heather gray color. It also comes in charcoal and black.

The fabric has no back, and is light weight.  It is less expensive than other options by a mile.

drewspin

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 06:42:34 PM »
Step 8:  Time to get messy and glue down the putting surface.

This step will go much better with a friend helping.  I used a flooring adhesive made by Henry (Henry 356) and applied the adhesive with a 1/16" w x 1/32" h grooved trowel.  The flooring adhesive I used does not set up very fast, but you need to keep it moving or do it in sections.

I started on the side that would be the full width of the carpet and made sure I covered with glue about 12"  additional width past the seam.  Then, I laid the one full piece leaving some over all the edges.  Then working with a partner, we seamed the pieces together very carefully.  Then I went back and finished gluing up the other side.  Then, working with a partner, we carefully smoothed out the remaining fabric.  This does not need to be stretched into place.

drewspin

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 06:49:15 PM »
This was my first time seaming fabric, and to be honest was a bit stress inducing to get it all lined up as best I could.

I decided not to put any seaming tape under the fabric, because it has no backing and is pretty thin, and I did not want any additional height under the fabric to cause bumpiness.

To be honest, the seam came out just okay.  I'm 100% sure you can do better than me.  A close up of the seam is attached.

The "green" will sit for a few days to let the adhesive cure.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 06:53:27 PM by drewspin »

drewspin

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 07:01:06 PM »
Balls track very, very well on this "green"...

drewspin

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 12:08:38 PM »
Good news.  This adhesive cures quite slowly on top of the rubber, and I was able to come back this morning and work the seam together very well.  Not noticeable at all when the ball rolls over it, and generally putts fantastic.

smitty

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 04:56:22 PM »
YEARS ago, I got a deal on a 12'X36' roll of really high-end putting surface. I chopped it up into sections and gave it all away to friends. I've been looking for the same thing again, and I can't find anything remotely close. I think I spent $300 of the last roll shipped.

Chalk it up to things that I "used to have"

Can't wait to see your finished green!

I know you had this one Doug:

Mr. Doug

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 04:59:43 PM »
Wow. THAT was a great week!

Yeah, that one was left outside of the garage overnight after that week, and the garbage guy took it! Gone forever...
::: currently fixing all the things that have been bugging me for years :::

Cols_Ears

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 05:58:47 AM »
Really impressed with this - I have to make do with a PuttOut Matt, Cup and a Boomerang, don't have the space to leave something this size out permanently.

I've always wanted to get an outdoor artificial green, but need to make sure I'm going to be in the same house for over 10 years to warrant the investment.
Ping G400 10.5° with PX HC HzRdus Yellow 6.0
Exotics E8Beta 16.5° with Accra SC95 (Stiff)
PXG 0311X 2i Aerotech Steelfiber 110 F4
Ping iBlades 4-PW KBS Tour S
SCOR 4161 Wedges 50°/54°/58° KBS Wedge Stiff
MannMade MA66 FN / James Ingles 12g Custom Flow Neck / Tad Moore Hoffman Blade / Rife BiMini